What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Monitor, 1080p and video montage

CactusJoe

Hey!

I have a asus 24" screen like this one
Acer X223WBD Black 22IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 1680X1050 2500:1 5ms VGA DVI HDCP - DirectCanada

And I use a 4890 XFX video card.

So, I really do not know much at all about 1080p, 720p and surch. In fact, the only thing I know, is that 1080p is the best possible quality.

I have a no-name camcorder wich does 1080p, it records smoothly. And plays in the camera real nice too.

Thing is, when I transfer my "movies" (in mov .h264) from my SDHC card from the camcorder to my computer. Then play the video with WMplayer + vista codecs, the video quality becomes very bad. I believe the words are choppy and halting but im not 100% sure.
It goes from a frame to another in a bloc, there is not fluidity at all in the image. The sound is alright.

( I also tried on a eeepc 1000he and it does the same thing, im not sure it does support 1080p...)

So I was wondering what could be causing that.

Is it the camcorder wich does 1080p but only on its 3inch screen?

Is it the monitor that dosnt support 1080p?

Is it the codecs or the file extension/type?

Is is anything else...?

Thank you !

Tell me if you do not understand xD

Last edited:

Perineum

Well not a lot of information to go on but....

I would cross these off the list:
Is it the camcorder wich does 1080p but only on its 3inch screen?

Is it the monitor that dosnt support 1080p?

Why don't you try uploading a small movie and let us see if it's the same?

frontier204

Well I just tried it in VLC player with some interesting results (my rig is in my signature - running the Phenom at stock 2.6 GHz, and HD 4870 is using its normal OC). I am also running Vista (x64).

I experimented with different "video output" settings, and this is what I found:
  • OpenGL video output - 37% CPU, SLIDESHOW
  • DirectX 3D video output - 25% CPU, perfectly smooth
  • Windows GDI video output - 37% CPU, perfectly smooth
If I am folding while trying to play the video, it gets very choppy when you are about to cut the bagel, but otherwise is fine.

Those CPU figures are from task manager, so 25% = core pegged at 100%. It looks like you need a player that offloads everything to the video card, or OC your CPU to 3+ GHz...
Check your CPU usage when it is playing because your codec is probably making the CPU do all the work.

Note that I'm no expert on this, as that video was probably the highest resolution video file I have ever played on this computer :bleh:

JD

Staff member
I'm guessing the camera is using some not-so-correct form of encoding on the video. As it plays jerky on my PC too, and all other HD content is flawless. That's using KMPlayer under Windows 7 which is basically just using ffdshow. It also plays at the wrong aspect ratio too, more like 4:3 rather than 16:9.

However renaming it to .m4v and playing in Windows Media Player 12, it plays perfectly and is widescreen.

So I'm leaning towards iffy encoding. Maybe try playing it in QuickTime, since that's what .MOV is natively from.

Last edited:

CactusJoe

If I am folding while trying to play the video, it gets very choppy when you are about to cut the bagel, but otherwise is fine.

Hahaha ;)

Using quicktime dosnt fix the issue.

I tried

• DirectX 3D video output
  • Windows GDI video output
And both times, the screen was pitch black. No image at all.

• Renaming to .M4V
Same as before, no change at all. while using VLC and wmp 11.

Go figure... thats weird...

Tomorrow, i'll try OCing to 3.0, shoulnt be too hard im already at 2.66..

TopDogZero

I have a bunch of media players here and all worked without any choppiness and halting. But CPU usage was very different from player to player and I agree with jdrom17 about the encoding as I have much higher quality vids that play with less CPU usage, here's what I got with the different players with your vid.

VLC, Gom, Media Player Classic, Windows media Player: Core 1: 90-100% Core 2: 10-25%

KMPlayer and BS Player (yes that's it' real name :haha:) both got: Core 1: 50-60% Core 2: 30-40%

As you can see KMPlayer and BS Player are doing better with the CPU usage, however the players are not setup the same (installed them at different times) so differences could be attributed to that. But overall I found BS Player uses less CPU cycles than any other player I have tried.

Maybe you could try re-encoding the vid and test it again.

Here's an GSpot (yes that's it's real name) properties of the vid you uploaded.

30974ad7345feae75.jpg

Latest posts