What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Monitor says "Cable not connected"- HELP

pua101

I got a new graphics card (geforce gt 240) yesterday, and i plugged it into the pci-e slot, it doesnt need power supply so i jsut connected my video cable directly to the gfx card and i turned it on. the cpu vents, the gfx card vents, and the PSU vents are working, theres a green little lgiht on the motherboard (IntelDP45SG), but there is no beeping sound. The Monitor says "Cable not connected" and nothing shows up, nothing. I tried resitting the battery, testing the monitor and vido cable on other pcs, adding a little bit of thermal paste, i almsot tried everything i saw on google and still nothing.. Note that before, i fried my old graphics card (geforce 9600) and before that i had the computer running very well for a whole year, but i still had a couple overheating problems.

After buying a 200 dollars gfx card plus 50 bucks for checkup, im broke and not able to spend 1 more penny on this computer :(

Please, Help me, i am desperate..

KaptCrunch

I tried resitting the battery, testing the monitor and vido cable on other pcs, adding a little bit of thermal paste, i almsot tried everything i saw on google and still nothing.. Note that before, i fried my old graphics card (geforce 9600) and before that i had the computer running very well for a whole year, but i still had a couple overheating problems.

After buying a 200 dollars gfx card plus 50 bucks for checkup, im broke and not able to spend 1 more penny on this computer :(

Please, Help me, i am desperate..

what you mean by adding more paste ????? removed heatsink

chrisk

Folding Captain
adding thermal grease to the cpu.. like the little gray paste

Did you clean off the old stuff before 'adding a little more' thermal grease? More is not necessarily better. A size of a grain of rice is enough.

Also, does your motherboard have integrated graphics (ie. is there another monitor connector on the motherboard near the rear USB ports)? If so, try that one. I see its a P45 chipset, so probably not but worth mentioning.

pua101

Did you clean off the old stuff before 'adding a little more' thermal grease? More is not necessarily better. A size of a grain of rice is enough.

Also, does your motherboard have integrated graphics (ie. is there another monitor connector on the motherboard near the rear USB ports)? If so, try that one. I see its a P45 chipset, so probably not but worth mentioning.

no its not integrated.. i can only plug it trhough the gfx card :/

and yes i removed the old stuff

chrisk

Folding Captain
Well, I suggest the following. (assuming you have made sure all cables inside and outside were already connected)

1. Take computer apart, including mobo out of the case

2. Place mobo on a box. reset the CMOS by taking out the battery for 15-20 mins. If your manual suggests another method of resetting Cmos (including using a jumper), do that too. I know you have done this but do it again.

3. Plug in only mobo, psu, cpu, one stick of ram, and gpu. Try to start it that way. If it does not boot, try another stick of ram. Refer to mobo manual to make sure that the one stick of ram is in right slot. **use a jumper on the power pins of the mobo to start it

4. If it posts, add one thing at a time until it does not post. If it posts all the way, good.

pua101

Well, I suggest the following. (assuming you have made sure all cables inside and outside were already connected)

1. Take computer apart, including mobo out of the case

2. Place mobo on a box. reset the CMOS by taking out the battery for 15-20 mins. If your manual suggests another method of resetting Cmos (including using a jumper), do that too. I know you have done this but do it again.

3. Plug in only mobo, psu, cpu, one stick of ram, and gpu. Try to start it that way. If it does not boot, try another stick of ram. Refer to mobo manual to make sure that the one stick of ram is in right slot. **use a jumper on the power pins of the mobo to start it

4. If it posts, add one thing at a time until it does not post. If it posts all the way, good.

k i will try it right now

gingerbee

r you sure the cable is not just kinda stuck on the back of the computer case. what i mean is i have had many times in the past the case will push or not allow the cable to sit properly so you get the cable is not attached and it looks like the monitor does not work. i ask because i had this same issue with my gt 240 just because it's a small card and get pushed around.
justmy2cents

pua101

r you sure the cable is not just kinda stuck on the back of the computer case. what i mean is i have had many times in the past the case will push or not allow the cable to sit properly so you get the cable is not attached and it looks like the monitor does not work. i ask because i had this same issue with my gt 240 just because it's a small card and get pushed around.
justmy2cents

lol tths tru its kidna small and gets pushed around xD

yes thts an important point, 5 more mins and ill build everything together again then ill check it out

pua101

sorry, taking the computer apart and checking for the video cable to be properly plugged didnt work :/

anymore solutions? pleaseee T.T