What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Monitor will only display for a few seconds

yoyoguy

So my 24 inch ASUS monitor has been going strong for about four years now, and a few days ago I wake up and go to turn it on. It turns on and displays an imagine fine, but after a second or two it will go straight to black and won't display anything else. It will display for a few seconds if I turn it off and on again, or if I give it a new signal to display (selecting it as "extend" in CCC). I can't get it to last more than a few seconds at a time, and I have never had problems with a monitor before so I have no idea what to do.

Bond007

can you connect the computer to another monitor/TV? Connect a different computer to the ASUS monitor?

yoyoguy

I have tried the HDMI port which is connected to my ps3, and it does the same thing. It is also a pain to switch imputs because it shuts off as I'm trying to select which one I want. It ended up taking a few minutes to get to a different input.

ShinraCorp

Well it's clearly a monitor problem then if it does the same thing with your PS3. What exactly causes it I'm not sure since monitors isn't something I know a lot. But it does sound like a power problem. Have you tried testing your monitor in a different wall outlet? If it still doesn't work then maybe it's the power supply that just won't work anymore. Like I said though I'm not a monitor expert perhaps someone else here knows it better.

KaptCrunch

it's a failed component on one of circuit boards

be it a cap or a resistor

if handy with a multi-meter that has capacitance checker

or cathode tube open CAUTION: 10-5Kilo Volts are present round light tube

Bond007

Agree. If its happening on the monitor from multiple sources its a failing component (hardware) in the monitor. A friend recently had similar issues, but it was after 5-15 minutes of on time and had to RMA the monitor.

Given the age of your monitor you need to find/fix (or get someone to do it) the failing component, or get a new monitor.