What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Monstrous AMD TR Build idea

Shadowarez

Folding Team
hi all the upgrade itch is gettin worse with every new build i do for client. the Behemoth i9 7980xe is still working still kicking but i dont think i can wait for DDR 5 and pcie 5 with amds new cpus next year.

my idea here is wait to see what the 5990x looks like if its out soonish thati s the one id want to upgrade to.

1. 5990x
2. 256 gb DDR 4
3. Amd 6900XT -nvidia 3090

id move over my cooling and case this will be the rig to last untill DDR 5 Matures and the super fast kits hit the market. im also awaiting last few peices of my custom loop.

currently have this sitting in boxes.
1. NexXxoS UT60 x2
2. HEATKILLER® Tube 200
3.HEATKILLER® IV PRO
4.Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 (for GPU)
hoping the block will work with the 5000 series TRs if not ill resell it.

fittings and all that other jazz will come once i figure out how many of each ill need.

GeezerGamer

64 cores....WOW!!
I don't know how I did it waiting almost a year for my build but good luck to you!

Shadowarez

Folding Team
i just hope they wont be like the old 10980xe intel x299 chip it felt like they made it a Tech tuber cpu not a retail consumer cpu,

Shadowarez

Folding Team
It'll help me do the video projects and or some of my other side contract's Finnish alot faster. But I should probably wait see what kinda performance these will yield as higher core counts are usually much slower clock speed.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
this system will be used for video work and alot of game dev work in UE4. i do plan on gaming on this but id more then likely limit games to like 8 cores.

Bond007

That build would be to more than scratch an itch! If you are consistently using A LOT of cpu grunt, then this could very well be worthwhile. That said, I would suspect the vast majority of people (with similar uses) would be slightly better suited to going down a model in the CPU stack (still lots of cores, but higher freq for gaming). I haven't seen any rumoured specs on the next gen threadripper though, so I comment may be moot.

If you have the $ and the justification for it, then I don't think there will be any topping it until follow-on CPU releases.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Yeah iv set aside about $10,000 since beginning of year with builds iv sold and saving I been doing. Plus tax return this year will help push this over the top to completion.

I can't wait to see what these will do I got seriously crazy water-cooling parts just waiting I think 480x2 worth of rads should keep it plenty cool.