What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Most powerful Android Tablet

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Just curious. Does anyone still care for tablets? I sure do.

The only issue? I have an Nvidia Shield K1 tablet. It's not bad, but certainly not that fast either. I'd like to know what everyone would suggest as a replacement. What would be the fastest android tablet that you can get nowadays? Or the best bang-for-my-buck upgrade over my current tablet.

I've been thinking about it for a while, and the only options I've seen are:
- Google Pixel C
- Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5/S6

Of those three, the Pixel and Yoga are both standout and unique. With the Yoga edging it on features a bit (built in kickstand, mini projector? Hell yes I would use it), but not certain about Actual performance numbers. I've seen the Galaxy Tabs ahead on my cpu benchmarks, but rarely compared to the Yoga and Pixel, and I also want gaming performance as well.

Yeah, I know, Meta and his idiotic/weird ideas. But lemme know what you think. Danke.

Lysrin

Pixel C would be nice, but the price used to be crazy. I guess at this point you'd be looking used or refirb?

I think Samsung is the only real serious player these days in the higher-end Android tablet market. There are the Amazon ones, but those are more a lower power/speed option. Not premium; different market.

Didn't know much about the Yoga. Seems the 3 Pro is not longer available, and the Pro 3 8 is the suggested option? When I look at the specs for the Pro 3 8 (https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/tablets/android-tablets/yoga-tab-3-series/Yoga-Tab-3-8/p/ZZITZTBYT0F) it looks like it is Android 5.1. That would concern me for security reasons but also for app compatibility. There are lots of apps now that require newer versions of Android than 5. I'd be looking at 7-8 as my cutoff.

If I was looking at a full featured powerful Android tablet I'd have to lean towards Samsung. My brother-in-law just bought a nice one, but by the time he had the attachable keyboard, stylus, and case he was pushing $1,300. But it is a nice unit for sure and perfect for what he needs it for; travelling to meetings, a lot of reading of docs, handwriting on electronic docs (works really well!), etc.

Would a Chromebook work for what you want or are you really looking for straight tablet form factor? Some Chromebooks seem like decent priced newer options.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Wish there were more options, yeah I'm pretty much entirely stuck looking at the used market.

This is the Yoga I was referring to btw: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N3USBZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_22sxEbX6VJCTE
it's Intel atom proc - i hope - would make a significant speed difference. But you're right about the Android versions, Lenovo's SW support is pathetic, there are multiple complaints about many of their devices losing SW updates. Seems unless it's someone else's job (like Microsoft/Windows) they don't lift a finger.
*Note to self, continue to avoid all Lenovo products and recommend others do the same*

So yeah, that leaves the Galaxy Tabs, or possibly a modded Nintendo switch (if you didn't know: the switch is what became of the tablet the was supposed to succeed my shield k1). Could consider a shield TV i suppose? But killing the mobility aspect of it would pretty much make the whole thing not worthwhile.

Pretty peeved off by the narrow-minded industry tbh. Make quick lazy products fit the largest customer base, ONLY, and shun the rest.

Izerous

Folding Team
There was a "tablet" out a while ago but I can't remember the name. It was essentially a dumb touch screen that you could cast to. The idea was you might have a top tier phone in your pocket might as well take advantage of the hardware but use the bigger screen.

They were not all that expensive since the hardware was relatively simple in comparision.

JD

Staff member
The iPad holds the market in North America, there's little reason for Android tablets to compete at the "top-end". Likewise, Google doesn't appear to really support Android tablets anymore either as their devices have only run Chrome OS in recent years.

The Pixel Slate has dropped to $550 with keyboard during sales previously depending what you're looking to do with this and whether you need Android or if the emulation Chrome OS has its sufficient.

I'd personally avoid x86-based Android tablets, I don't think they were ever well supported. You could look at the Xiaomi or Huawei/Honor tablets that you can get from China. Lenovo usually has better models for Asia too.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Oh! Pixel C refurb is 250 at Newegg. Risked it and got it right away, fingers crossed.

Guess I don't need to search much more, but i will report back here if anyone wants a comparison to the Shield K1.

Edit: *was* on Newegg. Looks like I got the only one? Sorry to tease others...

Mr. Friendly

oh...and I just read a tidbit about what looks to be a Lite version of the current Galaxy S6. a mid-range Snapdragon 600 series CPU and an S Pen that likely doesn't integrated and could possibly be 'optional' and not included.

Lysrin

Oh! Pixel C refurb is 250 at Newegg. Risked it and got it right away, fingers crossed.

Guess I don't need to search much more, but i will report back here if anyone wants a comparison to the Shield K1.

Edit: *was* on Newegg. Looks like I got the only one? Sorry to tease others...
I was Googling a bit when thinking about your question and saw that. I think that is going to be pretty nice Sir!

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I was Googling a bit when thinking about your question and saw that. I think that is going to be pretty nice Sir!
Fingers crossed, a big upgrade over a Shield K1. The Pixel C is literally the same Nvidia hardware as the Nintendo Switch, so it damn well better be fast and game well. I'll report back once I get it and try some thing out.

Latest posts

Twitter