What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Most Powerfull, biggest range wireless router?

Cptn Vortex

I have a client looking for the most powerful wireless router. Basically, doesnt have to be the fastest, just needs the largest range possible. He was using a DIR-655, but said it wouldnt hit some of their locations, which are more than 100ft away from the AP. Got any ideas, apart from cheesy repeaters scattered around?

lcdguy

well, while this isn't a wireless router but rather an AP i am currently getting sick range from it. Now this may have to do with the fact that my apartment is on the 9th floor of my building. But i can connect to it from my bus stop (a couple hundred feet) and still surf the web on my ipod. Or you could just attach the router wireless ports to a something crazy like a 4 terrawatt signal booster and put up a big A$$ antenna. :)

Jack Rabbit

I believe you can still use DD WRT to increase the power output of the Linksys routers. Doing this may a) burn them out, and b) have the CRTC knocking on your door.

Does your customer want a PTP or PTMP?

JD

Staff member
Couldn't he just replace the antennas on the DI-655 with something that has higher gain?

DaleF

Is he trying to set up a single, directional link or an omnidirectional setup? Because, there are quite a few good directional antennas out there he could use. Additionally, you could always use an amplifier to boost the signal, but remember, that tends to drop sensitivity.

Latest posts

Twitter