What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Motherboard Issue or non-Issue?

ntslatko

So I'm trying to only buy a new case and video card buy my computer conspires against me.

Situation:
About 3 months ago my system (MSI Z77A-GD65 w/ i5 3570k) stopped posting one day (no noticable triggering event) and would just have the power led turning off and on. When I checked the on-board indicator the error code resolved to: Early North Bridge Initialization

It could not even get to the BIOS with this error. Eventually, after shutting the system on and off repeatedly the system would start. Over time this got worse and worse eventually taking as long as an hour of effort to start the system.
I had multiplier OC'd the chip long ago and undid that after the one hour boot experience. Then all was good for a couple months. Last week it started again with the same error.

If I just sleep the computer it's fine. No crashes or weirdness of any kind.
Temp of CPU around high 20's early 30's Celcius

Any idea what that error message actually means in terms of how to fix it? Or is this a case of new components? In which case I may as well go all new.

MARSTG

Doesn't that mean the mobo is dying? Or there is a problem with a pin or more in the socket, have you tried removing the cpu and inspecting the socket?

Last edited:

Remove CPU, battery. Reset back the CPU and battery. Remove all but one DIMM. Remove any GPU, connect monitor to embedded video. Use a different PSU. Start. Observe if the same issue appears. If not, start going backward one item by one item.

ntslatko

when posts what bios version installed for last one is 10.11 dated 2013-10-09

how to

The version is 10.7
I had problems when I tried to update the BIOS before. It wouldn't take and I had to switch to the second BIOS. Normally this motherboard is supposed to flash the working BIOS to the non-working one but the option listed to do that is not present on my system (though the manual claims otherwise). This has left me leery to retry flashing. Well unless I just buy a new MB, CPU, and ram and consider this a test system and potential hand-me-down to my SO.

Valkyrie

So you currently have one working BIOS and one corrupted? If so, you should be able to attempt a re-flash of the corrupted one without risking the working one.

The troubleshooting method described above by 486 may reveal something, if you haven't already tried it. Make a close inspection (using a magnifier if possible) of all sockets and slots.

ntslatko

As a late update to this.

So I ended up compress-airing out the slots as much as possible, replacing the BIOS battery, and getting a new power supply (EVGA Gold 550).

The computer has been working since Dec as an HTPC.
I used the old power supply (PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750) in my new main rig without issue.

I am still unsure what was going on but, when the BIOS battery was replaced then (and not before) could I reflash the corrupted BIOS (which makes no sense to me).

I want to give this machine to my partner but am a bit concerned about a return to the dreaded "North Bridge not ready" message given it did work for a couple months previously w/o issue.

Latest posts