What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Motherboard Issue - Please Help

bruuen

Hi, i'm planning on purchasing a motherboard. I had the problem of mine dieing on me - after diagnosing this to be the problem (gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ICH8) All my other components are still intact however, I'm hoping you can recommend a similar motherboard that i could purchase that will prevent me from having to reinstall windows. other specs:

intel e6600 core 2 duo
corsair 4gb 2x2 800mhz
corsair 520w power supply
xfx 8600gt
windows vista 64bit ultimate

thanks for the assistance

punk_zappa

Unless you are getting the exact motherboard, there is no way of preventing reinstall. You can try repair install so you don't have to format your hard drive and keep your files intact.

bojangles

It is always difficult to resist reinstalling Windows when you buy new hardware, especially motherboards. Usually you just have to. If you have some data on there that is critical to your life, I highly suggest using a friend's computer to try and take some of it off. Otherwise, you're going to have the wipe it clean.

While we're on that topic, in case you haven't already, you should look into partitioning your hard drive so that when you reformat you won't have to wipe out your data. Only the OS and programs will be erased.

enaberif

No.

You are using a older intel chipset and to go to a new chipset would mean having to install drivers for that.

Your running a Intel ICH8 chipset and the latest for most motherboards is ICH10.

sswilson

Staff member
I managed to move from my DFI P965 chipset board to the ASUS P5Q Pro with only a windows re-activation, and everything seemed to work fine.

That said... I did a full fresh install within a couple of weeks to make sure I was getting the full benefit of properly installed drivers.

bruuen

thanks for the replies...assuming i can find an ICH8 mobo, would this essentially work?

bruuen

just going back again how i'm using the "gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ICH8" MOBO right now...if i switch to the "DFI Infinity P965-S Intel P965 ICH8" will it be as simple as hooking everything back up and it working as it did prior to the failure (ie. no reinstall or other problems on my vista 64 ultimate)? I would really appreciate a quick response as i'd like to order the part asap granted some approval of this fix! (only reason choosing this motherboard is it was only one of few i managed to find that use this older chipset and the price is low)

Twitter