What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Motherboard Issue?

architect

Gigabyte X58a-UD3R Rev 1.0
i7 930
Corsair HX750 PSU
ATI HD5850 Reference
G.Skill 2GB x 6
Samsung 128GB SSD
5 assorted sata Harddrives

Over the last 2 years my computer has been having random hiccups once a month:

Hang on windows boot
Disconnecting storage harddrives, the same ones every time.

There's also high-pitch chatter coming near the CPU and that's consistent.

Sometimes I feel like my internet is slowing down with lag and I can hear the chatter struggling, but I don't think it's a net connectivity issue. Not sure if it's a harddrive read/write issue.

I thought it might be a PSU issue so I replaced my TX750 with a HX750 PSU. The disconnecting harddrives have almost stopped (I've had it happen only once in 3 months). So I'm thinking it's a motherboard issue.

I've formatted my computer a bunch of times over the years and the issue comes back.

It's difficult to isolate the problem since it happens so rarely. I'm not willing to run on 1 stick of ram for a two months just to see if it's a ram issue issue.

Thanks.

Bond007

Run memtest to check for a ram issue. Check if there is a newer bios available. What are CPU temps like?

architect

I recall running memtest over a year ago with no issue but I'll give it a go again.

The temperature is 45 celcisus or so. I leave my computer on to render on full load for 10 hour straight with no hiccups ever. In the last year I had one BSOD from just surfing the web and few times where it gets stuck loading Windows though.

The high-pitch chatter corresponds with computer activity such as when loading web pages. On idle there is barely any sound.

ZZLEE

Sounds like Hard drive or NIC .

Run manufactures hard drive tester.

Try add in PCIE card or USB card fore internet.

architect

I've swapped main SSD over the last year with the same issue. I switched from an PCI Wifi adapter (which stopped working whether by itself or due to motherboard) to a USB wifi adapter with no change. That's why I think it's still motherboard? But I'm not really sure and lack the expertise.

TopDogZero

Like ZZLEE said it sounds like a hard drive fault not your SSD. Hard drives are the few things that would make that sound, and because you said you have had disconcerting storage drives issues, it is possible for a dieing hard drive to cause multiple problems even if it is not running the OS.
Try what ZZLEE said and test the drives, also if you are comfortable you could remove the side panel and see if you can hear which drive is acting up if any, then remove the drive and see if problems persist.

architect

Interesting timing. New development. I have a 64GB SSD I use as cache for certain design software I use once in awhile. When I booted up today I notice computer wanted to run CHKDISK on it before booting into windows. I let it run. But now I can't access the drive. When I try formatting it in windows it says "Windows was unable to complete format." This is not the drive that usually disconnects. I'm not sure if coincidentally this drive is failing at the same time as well, or something is screwing up my drives.

The sound seems to be coming from the CPU and not the drive but maybe it's just the weird echo bouncing around making it seem like it. I'll try to unplug all my drives. I do have my games and My Documents/Pictures/ etc on the drive that disconnects once a month.

Thanks again for the help.

BryceBooth

Have you removed the side panel from your chassis while diagnosing? The noise could be something as simple as a loose wire hitting your cpu coolers fan blades. If possible, try disconnecting all hard drives save for the SSD boot drive, then start adding them back in one by one. Also now would be an excellent time to backup all important data. Good luck.

architect

Yes I have remove the panel to try and detect this noise. No wires hitting fans etc. It's definitely related to computer activity (increases frequency when loading webpages etc).

Will boot into only SSD and give that a go.

KaptCrunch

SSD have you checked the firmware of drive and MB bios also PSU on dedicated line mite be some bad caps

Latest posts

Twitter