What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Motherboard Issues

ImmaPC

I bought a Biostar T-Power i45 board after I heard that it can crank the FSB to ~640mhz on air. I brought it home, plugged it in, and it didn't work the first time. I fiddled with the power cables (the 24-pin and the 8-pin), and the wires for the on/off switch, power LED, restart switch, etc. It worked shortly after, but after about 5 minutes of it being on, it turned off and I haven't been able to get going since. Basically what it does when I power it on is it starts up for a split second, fans come on, everything turns on, but only for a split second, then it powers down again. Sometimes if you push the power button more than once it will continuously restart and turn on for a split second, and then turn off promptly after. Does anyone know what's going on?

Chilly

Website
mirthful.ca
Check if the CMOS clear jumper is set on, and that all required cables are connected. Also check for any shorts in they system, if something is shorted (bare cable touching case, improperly installed motherboard, etc) the PSU will produce exactly that kind of issue.

Basically double check that everything installed correctly, that theres no random screw touching up against 2 bare contact points, that your forgot to plug something in, etc. Try above suggestions and see what you come up with. :thumb:

SugarJ

Staff member
update to latest BIOS!
That's a little hard to do when the board won't POST.:biggrin:

Make sure you're 4pin/8pin CPU power connection is good. That cycling sounds very familiar to me for some reason. Also, some of the Biostars have boot issues. If the LED shows a 9a or 9c post code, that's trouble. RMA the board.

anabioz

I had problem once with the board being installed inside of my case. It wouldn't post. But I took it out, placed it on top of the motherboard box and booted the system - it posted ok. So it could be a problem with the way you installed the mobo in the case. Give it a shot!

ImmaPC

OK, so I took everything out of the case, vacuumed it, and then checked for any loose parts, any little pieces of anything that might cause a short. No dice. So, I plugged everything back in, double-checked, triple-checked EVERYTHING, and turned it on. Once again, it only turns on for a split second after I hit the on-board power switch, when I hit the case switch nothing happens (I plugged in the wires correctly, be assured). I also tried holding down the power switch and still nothing happened. There's some good news throughout all this, and it doesn't cycle anymore!

BTW I haven't touched the CMOS switch since buying the board, be assured I double and triple-checked it as well, and it was in the regular mode (as in NOT the CMOS clear position).

I don't know why there would be something wrong with the board itself, it worked for about 5 minutes after I got everything plugged in :sad:

Oh, the LED thing doesn't show any code at all, as that's how short the computer is actually powered on for. When I said half a second I meant literally, half a second :haha:

Would it help if I got a pic of my machine's guts for you guys?

sswilson

Staff member
OK, so I took everything out of the case, vacuumed it, and then checked for any loose parts, any little pieces of anything that might cause a short. No dice. So, I plugged everything back in, double-checked, triple-checked EVERYTHING, and turned it on. Once again, it only turns on for a split second after I hit the on-board power switch, when I hit the case switch nothing happens (I plugged in the wires correctly, be assured). I also tried holding down the power switch and still nothing happened. There's some good news throughout all this, and it doesn't cycle anymore!

BTW I haven't touched the CMOS switch since buying the board, be assured I double and triple-checked it as well, and it was in the regular mode (as in NOT the CMOS clear position).

I don't know why there would be something wrong with the board itself, it worked for about 5 minutes after I got everything plugged in :sad:

Oh, the LED thing doesn't show any code at all, as that's how short the computer is actually powered on for. When I said half a second I meant literally, half a second :haha:

Would it help if I got a pic of my machine's guts for you guys?
Can you verify if you've done a cmos reset since you installed the CPU and memory on the board? If not, that should fix you up.

ImmaPC

Ok, I just did a CMOS reset (turned off power, unplugged PSU, etc). Now, it doesn't turn on, except for this little red LED that stays on forever. I checked the manual, there's nothing in the troubleshooting section about the red light, or "LED1" it says beside it on the board.

I'm seriously considering it to be a bad board. Ought-I RMA it?

sswilson

Staff member
Did you move the Cmos jumper back to the default pins? (Sorry if this sounds too basic, we've got to cover all of the bases).

I'm not convinced it's a hardware fault.... still sounds like something basic that's being missed.

Twitter