What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mouse - small, light, gamer?

FreeKnight

I had the same idea as Lysrin. I use a logitec 'travel' mouse when I'm on the road and it's very small. It's bluetooth, but there's probably a wired equivalent.

It's not 'smaller', but have you considered trying one of the vertical mice? Maybe the ergonomics of it will help you enough that the size isn't an issue.

clshades

Hey all, sorry I haven't been active in a while. Pandemic has been very tough on me.

Unfortunately, my medical problems have been worsening recently - my hands are hurting now when gaming, even if only for a couple of hours. I've already got keyboards to try to improve functionality, so what I need is a new mouse.

My hand seems to hurt when the mouse is too large, so essentially I'm looking for recommendations for a gaming mouse that's both very small and light.

Ideas so far:
-Razer deathadder elite (need to try for feel, to see if it's small enough)

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions or help.

Meta.

Rys xtrfy Rail.

Vittra

Consider grip tape along with mouse choice - often times with lighter mice people tend to grip harder to try and keep control of a light mouse, which defeats the purpose and could excaberate your problem. Doesn't really matter if you buy pre-cut strips of a "gamer" brand (I prefer BT.L) or just buy some Yonex Supergrap, Marucci, Lizardskins. Only thing of note when going that route is stick to 0.5mm thickness max. It will change the feel and shape of the mouse, which could be a benefit or detriment.

Wired options - consider a mouse bungee to lift the cable and remove cable drag. This may help remove resistance for mouse movements which could be a consideration besides the weight of the mouse as cable drag can feel like it's fighting your mouse movements in certain angles.

Wireless

Razer Orochi V2 - ~76g with lithium AA. Smaller in length and lighter than G305. Left side has a bit of a comfort curve, right side is a bit flatter - Has both AA and AAA battery slots, but the better balanced slot is the AA, so you can still do the AAA + AA adapter trick for better weight balance if you wish. Modified Kailh GM 4.0 switches. Side buttons are some of the best I've used. Sensor position is forward which will take a bit of time getting used to. Excellent all around mouse.

Logitech G305 - ~86g with lithium AA. A bit heavier than the Orochi V2 and also a bit longer. Sides are tapered, unlike the old G100S or the B100 office mouse which are flat. Excellent all around mouse.

Ninjutso Origin One X - ~67g. Biggest of these 3 options. Ergo style mouse, based off Intellimouse 3.0 design, but smaller than that and far lighter. Excellent all around mouse.

Wired

Xtrfy M42 - ~59g. Switchable back to change the location and shape of the hump while retaining a solid feel. Big negative here is it's a perforated mouse, and if that bothers you the only solution would be grip tape (or another mouse).

Razer Viper Mini - ~61g. Optical mouse switches, cheap price, goes on sale every once and awhile. Some complaints about budget sensor used, largely due to LOD on certain mouse surfaces. Excellent all around mouse. Razer has teased they will introduce a high end model in 2022.

Logitech G203 Lightsync - ~85g. Budget version of the shape shared by the G305, G203, and G Pro Wired variants. Directly replaces the G203 Prodigy. Slightly worse sensor but not noticeable to a majority of people. Excellent all around mouse.

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Really though, we kind of need to know your grip style. I use the fingertip style myself.

View attachment 32301

Is it weird that I don't think I'm any of these? Most of my hand is on the mouse pad, not the mouse itself.

I've decided to try going with the Viper mini for the time being. It was 40-something on Amazon so even if I don't stick with it, it didn't hurt my wallet much.

Vittra

Sounds like you are using a form of fingertip grip but pushing your palm/wrist into the pad for stability?

Those are the 3 main grip styles, but in reality all 3 of those have a plethora of variations. Some people change grips depending on what they are doing and the mouse they are using too. Many people also have tilt to their grip without realizing it - pickup your mouse in your preferred way, turn it so that the front is facing towards you - your fingers will either be relatively straight, tilted, or significantly tilted.

Zowie and Vaxee have good guides (videos and pictures) about various grip styles and tilt bias, but here's something a community member on /r/Mousereview made some time ago that expands a bit on the grip styles.

crazyea

Sounds like you are using a form of fingertip grip but pushing your palm/wrist into the pad for stability?

Those are the 3 main grip styles, but in reality all 3 of those have a plethora of variations. Some people change grips depending on what they are doing and the mouse they are using too. Many people also have tilt to their grip without realizing it - pickup your mouse in your preferred way, turn it so that the front is facing towards you - your fingers will either be relatively straight, tilted, or significantly tilted.

Zowie and Vaxee have good guides (videos and pictures) about various grip styles and tilt bias, but here's something a community member on /r/Mousereview made some time ago that expands a bit on the grip styles.

From that pic, I use the pincer claw grip.

Twitter