What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Moving Audio Card

superFlint

Hi,

I am having trouble getting my Sound Blaster Live card to work in any PCIe slot other than the original slot it was installed. I have an ASUS H97 PLUS motherboard. I had the sound card installed under my video card in the second GPU slot, I dont know why I did this but I did, and wanted to move the sound card for better airflow. I have a 1X PCIe slot above my GPU which is where I want to move it to. When I move it there it says no audio and I have no sound. I googled and found out that I should uninstall all drivers before moving so I moved the card back and it worked so I uninstalled the drivers. Moved card back to new position and still nothing working. How do I force Win10 to recognize the card in its new slot? Some people say that sound cards are easy to move, just move and they use old drivers and work, while others say they are the biggest pain to move, talk about a split crowd. Im with the latter now.

I have the SB Live removed altogether until I can figure this out. Onboard crappy audio until then.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Flint.

JD

Staff member
From the ASUS site: "The PCIe x1_1, PCIe x1_2 slots share bandwidth with PCIe x16_2. The PCIe x16_2 slot runs at x2 mode as default. Please check BIOS for more configuration."

Is it possible you have PCIe x16_2 configured at x4 mode in the BIOS? If so, sounds like it would disable both x1 slots.

superFlint

Thanks you are a genius!!! That fixed it. I looked through the manual and did not see that and did not realize that those slots could be disabled. Learned something new today, good stuff!

Thanks again!!!

Latest posts

Twitter