What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MS releases Windows 365 Pricing

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

it's not cheap, but the article says to compare pricing against AWS, where savings may be available.

Windows 365 Business is for organizations with 300 or less employees while Enterprise is for those with more.

Marzipan

Will a business save money with those kind of prices? Especially when they need a pc to start with.
time will tell. a monthly fee may be much easier to write off than hardware and depreciation...plus the potential for better security may be worth the premium as a desktop with 4 cores, 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD will be a lot less than the $1200 in subscription fees.

ipaine

Having had to deal with getting people to sign off on things I can say this, single one time purchases are way easier to sell to management than recurring costs.

I mean sure this has some advantages, but if you need someone to be mobile then laptops work. And really the top tier offering costs $234.50/month and gets you 8 core 32gb ram and 512gb storage. One year of that kind of pricing will buy something significantly more powerful and something that doesn't rely on internet being up 100% of the time.

Now maybe if you can swing a deal and get really cheap dumb terminals then maybe it might be worth it.

sswilson

Staff member
Isn't the main point here that it's a virtual PC which can be accessed from anywhere with whatever hardware is on hand, and will always be configured / outfitted exactly the same way?

I'm not sure I see much value in that (vs issuing a laptop) but the core idea seems more like an extension of the corporate desktop than a hardware replacement.

Marzipan

HaaaH! MS says demand was unbelievable so they have had to cancel the two month demo offer as the resources allocated were overwhelmed. the caveat? it's okay to pay for an instance if you want to test still. :p

moocow

I think there's some value in remote access a personalized desktop. My company deals with sensitive data and before COVID actually prefer no WFH. In such case, having someone log in remotely to a controlled environment and lock down how data is copied is actually a good idea.

JD

Staff member
I think there's some value in remote access a personalized desktop. My company deals with sensitive data and before COVID actually prefer no WFH. In such case, having someone log in remotely to a controlled environment and lock down how data is copied is actually a good idea.
I think this is Microsoft's attempt to get people away from Citrix, by offering a "fully managed" solution. Everyone is moving towards SaaS or IaaS these days.

This makes it a whole lot easier to understand where your data is and what security it has. If users lose their "thin client", be it a laptop, tablet, etc, no data is lost then if it's all in this Virtual Desktop. No need to report it to RCMP or other government agencies either, in the case of PCI/PAN data on said device.