What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MSI Afterburner - fan profile not applying at Windows startup

Lysrin

Now that I'm back on air, I've created a fan curve to tame the GPU fan noise. Without the curve, the GPU fans will "pulse" at idle from zero to several hundred RPM and back to zero and it is just enough of a cyclical sound to be annoying. It is actually quieter to leave them running at ~700 RPM.

Anyway, I have the fan curve I want, Afterburner starts at boot, I tried saving to a profile, I've turned on custom fan curve options, but it just won't apply the curve when Windows starts up. I have to go into Afterburner, open the fan curve, don't change anything but just click OK, then the curve applies as expected.

Is there an obvious setting I'm missing somewhere? I feel like I solved this before but I can't seem to find it.

I am running ASUS GPU Tweak II as well because it had good overclock settings, but perhaps that is conflicting with Afterburner?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
100% this is a conflight with GPU Tweak. I've had nothing but issues if both were installed, including overwriting OC's.

The worst part is GPU Tweak is better (IMO), but wont let me overclock my ram as high as Afterburner due to having a lower programmed hard cap for some reason.

Lysrin

I like Afterburner because of the nice realtime graph outputs I can have for several things, not just GPU, running on my second monitor.

I'll have to play around with running only one or the other and see what I get. Thanks @Sagath

lowfat

Staff member
If you can't find a fix, you can set profiles via command line. So you could create a bat file and have it run a minute after launch via Task Scheduler.

"E:\Apps\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe" -Profile1

Lysrin

If you can't find a fix, you can set profiles via command line. So you could create a bat file and have it run a minute after launch via Task Scheduler.

Didn't know you could pass profiles on the command line. So in that case you'd turn off having Afterburner start on Windows boot, and allow the task to start it via the batch file. Correct? Otherwise you'd start a second instance... or it is smart enough not to start a second instance and would just apply the profile?

lowfat

Staff member
Didn't know you could pass profiles on the command line. So in that case you'd turn off having Afterburner start on Windows boot, and allow the task to start it via the batch file. Correct? Otherwise you'd start a second instance... or it is smart enough not to start a second instance and would just apply the profile?
I don't think it can launch a 2nd version. You definitely can have afterburner running when applying the profile.

Lysrin

Finally got around to trying this. Did the trick. Not clear to me why I needed to do it and Afterburner wouldn't apply the profile on boot without additional intervention, but given how little time there is in life, this solution works AOK and gets the job done! Moving on!

Thanks @lowfat

Latest posts