What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MSI motherboards to come with delid die guard

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Fine and dandy. But you still need to make up that 4 mm you lost. My best results from cooling have always been way over spec. I've only ever delidded one proc (1), in my lifetime......and I torqued the crap outta it.:punk:
That's what I was thinking. How is the offset taken into account since this sits flush?

Remember, the IHS also acts as protection against excess heatsink mounting pressure.

Calypso

You really need a shim.
I delidded a s(939), almost 10 years ago. I lost 3.5 mm in tension, on the mount. As everyone knows; torque is half the spec. Dealing with tec's taught me that. 125-150 lbs/ sq inch.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Unless I'm misunderstanding you guys, I think you're both misunderstanding the point of this. MSI has done the math for you to give you the mounting difference in height so that you dont HAVE to shim it.

Thats the point.

Calypso

Ya, so. I don't think I'd purchase a board, based on its "delidding" options. I'm gonna stick with my shims. Over 45 hours of math, spanning 5 years.:clap: Getting on in years now, though. I should quit while I'm ahead. Panama, here I come!

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Unless I'm misunderstanding you guys, I think you're both misunderstanding the point of this. MSI has done the math for you to give you the mounting difference in height so that you dont HAVE to shim it.

Thats the point.
My issue is with mounting pressure. Without a high strength buffer zone, there's very little protecting the die package from damage. That doesn't fall on MSI's shoulders but rather tha CPU cooler and water block manufacturers that have built their mounting options WITH the IHS taken into account.

ZzzSleep

I really wish that they would just make for us enthusiasts a fluxless indium solder and decrease the distance from the die to the edge of the core. I don't think most enthusiasts would mind paying extra for it.

At least the Haswell-E series is likely to have the fluxless solder, so it's probably a cost saving measure, unless there's some technical reason? The 8 core version especially will need it.

SuperLiam

I think it seems like a good idea.

I hope this features comes to the Gaming series, as I recently got myself a Z97 Gaming 7 and an Intel core i7-4770k, and the gaming series has overclocking options.

Latest posts

Twitter