What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MSI Revives the PCI Slot!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
hEoyNCvtvEhT35DdcHFMEH-650-80.jpg

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/spectras-new-lga1151-motherboard-1992-pci-slots

yeah, the PCI slot! it's using the Kaby Lake platform to do so.

sswilson

Staff member
An ISA slot???

Who the hell would have a functioning ISA card in their fleet that couldn't be updated to a modern version? I mean.... we're talking DOS drivers here, and I suspect not even Windows 3.xxx functionality.

Izerous

Folding Team
2004-2006? I was at NAIT some of the computer labs still had turbo buttons and ISA slots IN USE. They were used for labworks and had a multi-meter etc built into the ISA slot. Had to explain to some of my classmates what the turbo button did.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Pointless gimmick. Absolutely everything worth having that used to "only" be available for legacy slots has been replaced by more modern things. This is for retro fanatics or people too lazy or cheap to buy the modern replacement.
Literally, there is no use for PCI anymore.

sswilson

Staff member
I can see PCI still being a viable slot. I'm sure there's still quite a few decent audio cards out there, and more than likely a fairly large Niche market with proprietary PCI control cards for equipment that's still functional, but no longer being serviced by the original manufacturers.

The ISA slot stumps me though... assuming the engineers and designers over at MSI aren't complete idiots, there must still be a big enough need for them that it's worth their while to produce this beast outside of one-of custom orders.... older power/communication grids in third world countries maybe?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I can see PCI still being a viable slot. I'm sure there's still quite a few decent audio cards out there, and more than likely a fairly large Niche market with proprietary PCI control cards for equipment that's still functional, but no longer being serviced by the original manufacturers.

The ISA slot stumps me though... assuming the engineers and designers over at MSI aren't complete idiots, there must still be a big enough need for them that it's worth their while to produce this beast outside of one-of custom orders.... older power/communication grids in third world countries maybe?
I suspect this is for the niche market where to move away from said PCI device would be tens, hundreds if not millions of dollars in costs.

Entz

I suspect this is for the niche market where to move away from said PCI device would be tens, hundreds if not millions of dollars in costs.
Yeah that is my guess. You have a 5 digit controller card controlling a 8 digit machine in a factory but you need to replace the board.

The same type of people who pay millions a year for Windows XP support :D

Edit: Will go with 8 not 10 lol :p

Last edited:

dragoonxx

it was like... 8 or so years ago now, but there had been a farm here that had one of their controller computers go down for their hog lines... it used ISA. the CNC pipe roller in our fab shop uses XP embedded on a CF card...

CMetaphor

Quadfather
There's always a replacement.
PCI is just old PCIE 1X, end of story. It's literally only legacy products and companies out of business that haven't made more modern versions of their hardware that uses the latter. Everyone else has made their products in PCIE, USB3, etc, because they want to stay relevant and keep customers.