What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Msi Tomahawk B350/Ryzen 5 2600

mikjames

I set a nice modest overclock of 3.8 (x38 multiplier, everything else left at auto) in the bios, but when I boot into windows it's still reading 3.4...
Is this an issue with the Windows system info? When I boot into the bios it reads 3.8 throughout.
I'd rather not get into voltage tweaking and stress testing right now, just want a decent starting point for the next couple years. I see the 2600 topping out at 4.2-4.3, stock 3.4 is just leaving performance on the table imho.

Last edited:

djbrad

Maybe the AMD equivalent of Intel speedstep (cpu slow down when not used). You need to change this option in the bios so that the cpu stays always at the overclocked speed.

mikjames

Maybe the AMD equivalent of Intel speedstep (cpu slow down when not used). You need to change this option in the bios so that the cpu stays always at the overclocked speed.
Why would I want to do that? If I wanted a power hungry six core beast that requires a leaf blower to keep it cool, I'd put together an Intel 6 core from the previous gen extreme platforms. Cool, quiet, and the performance I need when I need it.

D

Dark Knight

Why would I want to do that? If I wanted a power hungry six core beast that requires a leaf blower to keep it cool, I'd put together an Intel 6 core from the previous gen extreme platforms. Cool, quiet, and the performance I need when I need it.
You don't even have to look to previous gen extreme platforms. You can simply look at Intel's X299 and upcoming X599 platform. :haha:

mikjames

You don't even have to look to previous gen extreme platforms. You can simply look at Intel's X299 and upcoming X599 platform. :haha:
At least Intel seems to have learned a lesson with all this "de-lidding" nonsense. I'd still be using a 4670k at 4.2ghz if the cover hadn't dropped off from the previous owner's handiwork. I tried to rehabilitate it but I didn't really know what I was doing... I'm not happy about moving to a new platform and losing some single core clock speed, but Kingdom Come Deliverance does appear to benefit from 6 cores, and probably ddr4 as well. Reaper doesn't seem to have an issue utilizing 6 cores either, and it runs a fair amount cooler/more efficiently.

Caldezar

I'm confused... why would you "OC" a Ryzen 5 2600 to 3.8 when it already boosts to 3.9 at stock settings? Even OC'ing to 4GHz (which that CPU can get to without issue) yields essentially no benefit in gaming. If you don't go to 4.2, then it really isn't worth it IMO.

mikjames

I'm confused... why would you "OC" a Ryzen 5 2600 to 3.8 when it already boosts to 3.9 at stock settings? Even OC'ing to 4GHz (which that CPU can get to without issue) yields essentially no benefit in gaming. If you don't go to 4.2, then it really isn't worth it IMO.
On all 6 cores? I was under the impression that boost technologies only reach top speed when utilizing 1-2 of the cores, not all 6. Granted using all 6 cores is a rarity, and my knowledge of turbo boost may be outdated. The X designated cpus on the other hand do appear to have more advanced automatic overclocking.

Latest posts

Twitter