What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MSI Z77 mpower won’t post

Spikemaul

Hi, so the other night I powered down my rig and went on a really crappy blind date. When I got home I figured I would game some more to ease my mind. I pressed the power button and my computer now always hangs on the a2 code. I’ve researched this code and my MB is not detecting the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD as the boot drive. I removed the ssd and swapped the sata cable out with a new one. Same result. I reset the cmos. Same result. I tested the power supply with a Thermaltake PSU tester that I have and there are no issues with it. I’ve replaced the sata power cable from the psu to the ssd, same result. After resetting the cmos I get the screen to go into setup but as soon as I hit F1 to do that the computer shuts down. My motherboard is a MSI Z77 mpower that has dual bios on it. I’ve tried both settings to no avail. It always hangs on a2 with the ssd installed or a0 with it unplugged. I’ve tried all six sata ports on the MB also. I currently only have one ram stick installed in dimm2. Specs are:
MSI z77 mpower
16Gb ddr3 1866 Dominator Platnium
MSI GTX 680 Lightning
XFX 850Pro power supply
Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd with Windows 10
Samsung 840 250GB for Steam.

Is my motherboard dead since I can’t even get into the bios. Thanks for the input.

JD

Staff member
As silly as it may sound, try changing out the coin battery in the motherboard, likely a CR2032.

Bond007

Try unplugging everything except the cpu and one stick of ram...see if you can get into bios then using integrated graphics (disconnect all sata cables).

justmehereajax

I would try another PSU just in case.
I zapped a CPU in motherboard using a wonky PSU that tested good on the ATX PSU tester tool.

I have now always a good spare to test psu issues now.

Spikemaul

I would try another PSU just in case.
I zapped a CPU in motherboard using a wonky PSU that tested good on the ATX PSU tester tool.

I have now always a good spare to test psu issues now.
My nephew is dropping a used but known working PSU off after work today. I really hope it’s the issue as I want to build a new system but give this one to my son. If it’s the motherboard I’ll be looking for a used one to get it up and running again. Thanks for the input.

KaptCrunch

Note if CPU is not matched to bios
Will have a no boot issue. Use old cpu and use MSI update software to get bios that matches new cpu

Note know your motherboard revision before updating for they use same model name but different bios for each MB revision.
If use wrong file will make a door stop.....DOA

Spikemaul

Well I’ve tested using my nephew’s power supply with the same results. Only one stick of ram and just motherboard with on-board video to monitor and the 3570K. Still can’t get into bios. Most times now it’s just power cycling.

KaptCrunch

With power cord removed from PSU
On back panel press clear cmos.
Note: check MB cmos jumper is open, if was closed with power on have damaged MB. use hdmi PORT and remove video card if using one.
Other CPU DOA OR BIOS CORRUPT

Latest posts

Twitter