What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery Multi GPU Retro Fun!

rjbarker

Cant remember the year I put this together......was before I went to WC'ing:
- X58 Evga X58 Mobo
- Intel 980 Extreme
- Tri SLi Evga GTX 580's and Sli 580 Classified (I think...or 680's maybe).
- Silverstone TJ09 Case...I cut out the plexi glass for a HWC grill n fan (needed more air for those GPU's).

Just came across the pics so thought I'd throw em up ;)

q3nBRwv.jpg

8Z326If.jpg

87wsSvC.jpg

rjbarker

^^^^ Back when a high end GPU was around $500 ;)

I remember how hard it was for me to finally breakdown and purchase the Intel Extreme CPU....I think the 980X was around $1199 back then!

Lysrin

^^^^ Back when a high end GPU was around $500 ;)

I remember how hard it was for me to finally breakdown and purchase the Intel Extreme CPU....I think the 980X was around $1199 back then!
Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore... Those were the days.

Thanks for sharing! Cool looking build for its time. I have to say, I do appreciate all the advances made in case design and I don't miss the silver interiors, although it is a nice contrast to show off the parts! :)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Amazing!
X58 days were (imo) the peak of PC modding, and performance gains, especially if you take cost into account.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
man i still have those exact dvd drives in my hoard. amazing rig back in day were those the cpus you could toss in the SR-2 board back then?

rjbarker

Soultribunal....no problem posting your "old" rigs....would suggest just continue this Thread with our Members posting up pics of there "old retro" rigs.....painful to say "old" as it seems like yesterday I was putting these rigs together ;)
Shadowarez.....the 980X and vanilla Intel 920 (I think ?) were only compatible with X58 Chipset....

Amazing!
X58 days were (imo) the peak of PC modding, and performance gains, especially if you take cost into account.

The HEDT systems back then were the only option for multi GPU's I think, but back then HEDT builds were a great option.....SLi was no issue for x16/x16 PCI-E and Tri SLi was x8/x8/x8 I think....additional PCI-E lanes provided by the Southbridge...

Agreed !!!! I remember the first build for X58 was an Evga vanilla X58 Board with an Intel 920 (?) and everyone wanted to get the "DO" stepping ? As it proved to be a great OC'er....
I had a wierd "Cold Boot" issue with my 920 / Evga vanilla Board, so stepped up the Board to an Evga X58 Classified and swapped out the CPU from 920 to 980X.....

You know I cannot remember who the Member was on here back then, but he was building crazy Tri SLi Water Cooled systems back then.....gave me the incentive to swap over from Air to Water....
Also, I had so much crap on the Mobo you couldnt even see the Board !!!! I finally dithed that big Air Cooler on the CPU to an AIO, then really started looking hard at Water Cooling !!!!

Keep the retro pics coming guys!!!

Latest posts

Twitter