What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Multi-Monitor mouse "Speed bump"?

sswilson

Staff member
Not sure how good of a description that is so I'll try to explain.....

Because of my pinball project I've started using multiple screens on my main PC and am trying to find out if there's a way to better control the mouse cursor.... it drives me nuts when the cursor doesn't "stop" at the main monitor edge... is there a way (or program) that would put up a fence/speedbump between monitors when it comes to the cursor?

What I'm envisioning is something that puts up a barrier for the mouse on the monitor that's currently in use that would require something like "3 quick hits on the wall" to get over to the next monitor.

Does that make any sense? If it does... is there anything out there that works like this? (a key shortcut that moves the mouse between monitors would be nice too, but from the sounds of it, that's a unicorn.... :) ).

lowfat

Staff member
DisplayFusion does. Never used that option and I can't test as I only have 1 Display. Its not free tho. It is on sale current on Steam, but @ twice the price I paid for it 5+ years ago. 1.PNG

sswilson

Staff member
I ended up grabbing display fusion. Not sure about the "speed bump" idea, but as listed above it makes it easy to lock/unlock the mouse cursor to the current screen as well as moving it to the "next" monitor and removing the annoying walls between monitors where they don't meet up.

Also great to have the "move focused application window to next monitor" feature.

Yeah it was $20 but I've been threatening to buy a license for decades so it was probably time to get off my butt and grab it. :)

sswilson

Staff member
Uncertain if it offers such a feature, but perhaps try DisplayFusion?

EDIT: This might be what you want? http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/dmt_cursor.html

Looking at it, DMT Cursor probably would have done most of what I wanted, but display fusion has more features so I'm not sorry I picked it up instead.

The only issue I've run into with Display Fusion so far was losing full screen focus on the game, but that was either because I hadn't locked the mouse to the playscreen monitor, or possibly because I'd left a window open on the screen. I'm closing windows and locking the mouse and haven't had any issues since.

This pinball game is a bit weird when it comes to how it's set up.... #1 is my main monitor, #2 is the portrait mode full screen game, #3 is above #2 and is the backglass screen....

The game is launched from and runs on #2 in full screen mode, but for the backglass display to function properly #3 must be designated as the primary display. When the game is launched, the splash screen shows up on #2 and the backglass doesn't appear on #3 immediately... it takes a few seconds to load. Once the backglass is loaded onto #3, the gameplay is on #2, but if you use the windows button to take focus away from #2 it minimizes the game on #2, but the backglass image on #3 stays up until you actually exit from the game.

Took quite a while to get that all figured out.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Quick revisit to this.... another feature I found handy was the ability to tie a specific default audio device to a specific monitor profile. I now have a main profile which is my normal setup, and a pinball profile which switches the active monitor as well as the default audio device. Both of those settings have user definable hotkeys.

There's an awful lot going on in Displayfusion's stock settings, but it's also apparently programmable if a person knew what they were doing (or took the time to hunt down useful scripts).

sswilson

Staff member
Yet another revisit to display fusion....

I'd stopped using it because of the way it was behaving with "focused full screen windows" as it related to my pinball setup, but realised I was looking at it the wrong way...... :)

I'd been configuring the pinball profile with all monitors enabled when what I really should have been doing was only enabling the monitors that were going to be active for the pinball session. I've re-installed and happy to report that Display Fusion appears to be working as advertised.

The bonus to this is that I can now easily set monitor profiles that will disable the two secondary monitors as default which then prevents currently running windows from populating onto whatever monitor happens to wake from sleep first instead of the primary where the window(s) was/were residing before the monitors went to sleep.

I know it's a little thing, but it drives me nuts when something small like that is occuring and base windows doesn't give me any kind of option to rectify the problem. (With display fusion I'm pretty sure I could have just locked that particular app to the main window as well).

Latest posts