What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Multiple monitor mixed res/orientation funkiness?

sswilson

Staff member
I just finished installing 20H2 and the subsequent "optional" cumulative update for it, and low and behold my laptop is back to sleeping again. :)

edit: Same for my main PC. Seems to be going into sleep again.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I just finished installing 20H2 and the subsequent "optional" cumulative update for it, and low and behold my laptop is back to sleeping again. :)

I see that optional update. Good to know.

MAK

Quick question, (and my issue may be similar but unrelated to this):

Are you using the same scaling for all your monitors?

The reason I am asking is because my issues with apps bleeding onto the other monitor and some dialog boxes not even showing started only on my laptop: I have a 4K display and a 3440x1440 curved Dell monitor connected to it. On one monitor windows set up the scaling to 125% and on the other it is set to 100%. I had all sorts of weird issues like you described.

Funny enough, my other computer has a 3440x1440 and two side HD monitors, (but with the same scaling set on all three) and it NEVER has any issues.

Since I changed the scaling to match on both displays with my laptop, the problem has gone away.

sswilson

Staff member

The reason I am asking is because my issues with apps bleeding onto the other monitor and some dialog boxes not even showing started only on my laptop: I have a 4K display and a 3440x1440 curved Dell monitor connected to it. On one monitor windows set up the scaling to 125% and on the other it is set to 100%. I had all sorts of weird issues like you described.

Funny enough, my other computer has a 3440x1440 and two side HD monitors, (but with the same scaling set on all three) and it NEVER has any issues.

Since I changed the scaling to match on both displays with my laptop, the problem has gone away.

I believe they're all the same, but I'll double check just to be sure.

Next step is to uninstall/re-install displayfusion, and then I've got a new(ish) install on a different PC that I'll try without displayfusion once I get a different vid card in it.

sswilson

Staff member

I believe they're all the same, but I'll double check just to be sure.

Next step is to uninstall/re-install displayfusion, and then I've got a new(ish) install on a different PC that I'll try without displayfusion once I get a different vid card in it.

Well........

I double checked my scaling and they were all set to 100%.

OTOH, I uninstalled display fusion and while the issue didn't appear to go away immediately after the uninstall it seems to have resolved itself over the course of the morning while I was re-doing my non-Displayfusion monitor settings.

Next step will be to attempt a Display Fusion re-install to see if maybe that install just got buggered up.

One thing that did come up however was my being re-reminded about how unintuitive the current W10 shutdown is.

In the old days, if you wanted to ensure you did a proper shutdown and clear out any residuals of an uninstall you did exactly that... select shut down and then once the PC turned off you pressed the power button to do a complete boot. That doesn't work any more as windows now does some kind of hybrid "shutdown" which essentially takes an image of the kernel's state and then uses that to boot faster than you would if you were starting from scratch off of the HDD/SSD.

These days, the way to force a proper boot from scratch is (IMO completely not intuitive) to do a restart.

Latest posts