What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Musing about the Star Wars game I'd like to play

Lysrin

So, as an incentive to get me through my exercise time (I hate exercising lol) I started watching The Mandalorian again and it got me thinking. How come we can't get a Star Wars game like that?

I am a huge Jedi fan. But the thing is if Jedi and Sith are done right there is nothing more powerful. They are a very hard character type to write open-ended stories around because if they aren't as powerful as the lore says, we are disappointed. But if they are as powerful as they should be then everything falls before them, and again we are disappointed. That is fun for a little while but there is no threat and it gets hard to make that story interesting. The only thing Jedi and Sith can fight that provides a challenge is more Jedi and Sith and then that too is an option-limiting story; if every character is a Jedi or Sith then they feel less special to play.

I'd love to have a single player RPG set in a period in Star Wars like The Mandalorian, where I could play as a bounty hunter, or a merchant/trader/smuggle, or a freedom fighter, or something more mundane, set in the Star Wars setting, Outer Rim perhaps for more mystery. Something away from super powerful characters and more focused on people scraping by. Pockets of Imperials remaining like in The Mandalorian is a great idea, but then also other factions rising to fill the gaps in power. I suppose it could be an MMORPG, but I'd want it to be very story-driven and that can be hard to pull off with other players hoping around in the scene or whatever ;)

Anyway... that's what I'd like. Musings for the morning. Anyone else want to play a game like that? I believe Star Wars Galaxies might have been like that but I missed out on that game at the time.

Prickly007

How come we can't get a Star Wars game like that?

Making a decent Star Wars game, I am guessing, would rupture the space-time continuum. If that is not the case, Lucas Arts/EA/Disney is just too god damn incompetent. EA signed a ten year deal in 2013, yet has only managed to accomplish a turd (Fallen Order) and killing off loot boxes (BattleFront 2).

Although the NGE tried to incorporate character/class story arcs, Star Wars Galaxies was a sandbox game. Outside of the player driven economy, the game was a mile wide and an inch deep.... God, I miss it!!

Arinoth

Staff member
Well...now I'm going to want to replay KOTOR1 and 2 at some point, as yes you can play as a Jedi, but technically you don't have to spec that way if you don't want to.

Lysrin

I have considered that a few times myself, but even with mods, not sure I could handle the graphics at this point. I know, I know, gameplay is more important than good graphics! But still... :p I have great memories of those games, and I am thinking perhaps those memories are best left untouched!

Arinoth

Staff member
I look at it as a time capsule really, with or without mods it's still a phenomenal series, a shame that project to uplift it with modern graphics and gameplay got a C&D letter.

Latest posts