What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Must Have programs for Windows?

Skippman

What are you using for playback that needs a codec pack? VLC and MPC-BE both use their own built in filters unless overridden.

EDIT: Besides when ripping BDs, I haven't had to use video / audio DirectShow filters in like 5+ years.

I used to use it quite extensively when watching older anime rips. You're right thought that DirectShow isn't really necessary for anything anymore which is why I didn't mention it originally.

Lysrin

Yeah...+++1 to this. As referenced in the thread you linked to, I used this to get around the new "no option to create an offline account" crap they're currently pushing. Worked like a charm for me.

Little aside here, the recent nieces' builds I did I got around the no offline account option by entering a bogus telephone number. I think I just used 999-999-9999 or something. As soon as I clicked Next after entering that I was presented with the offline account option. Worked on the two recent installs of 1909 from scratch.

MARSTG

A visit to ninite.com gets me most of the apps I need these days. Additionally I get Avidemux, Performance test, Clipgrab, Deluge and Daemon Tools Lite.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Little aside here, the recent nieces' builds I did I got around the no offline account option by entering a bogus telephone number. I think I just used 999-999-9999 or something. As soon as I clicked Next after entering that I was presented with the offline account option. Worked on the two recent installs of 1909 from scratch.

Cool, I'll give that a shot next time I do an install.

Lysrin

It's worth a shot. I believe the offline option showed up down on the lower left of the screen. You know, one of those links that they have to give you but really don't want you to notice! ;)

ipaine

Another easy way is just to take the machine off of the internet. I'd write detailed notes but ghacks already has them:

TL;DR Unplug ethernet cable/disable wifi

liamdaniel324

My Must have programs include:

VLC Media Player
Chrome
WinRar
PhotoShop
Microsoft Office
and at last GOOGLE DRIVE...My life is like not fully functional without drive features, best ever.

I personally don't prefer antivirus idk why but I don't. I believe they tend to slow down your computer and you can't fully enjoy your laptops full power.

gingerbee

I forgot several apps in a package made by the good old Redfox formally Slysoft for all my DVD/BD ripping backup needs