What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mutiple Audio Input Device Advice

audio_newbie

I'm attempting build an application that requires several inputs from standard trs mic and speaker wires-sound is mono. I'm going to be doing conversion of the audio inputs into my own format on through my application. What I am having trouble with is how to approach scaling this to more inputs, the ideas I have come up with is :
  • Installing several audio cards
  • Using multiple USB sound adapter
  • Audio card with multiple channels, kind of like they use for instrumental audio mixing

I've been searching around and found this site to have a lot of experience people who may have tackled this type of problem before, I hope you can point me in the right direction. :)

Thanks!

audio_newbie

Thanks for the recommendation CMetaphor, I have come across the the M-Audio Cards in my research. The drivers are supported on Windows/Mac so this is a pretty big plus. Another good thing is that they have support for up to 10 different channels-which is probably way more than I would hope to get with multiple sound cards. Does anyone know what type of machine I would need to support the load by this type of audio device?

Mysteryous

From what I recall, windows won't let you use more than one sound device at the same time, and mac is pretty much the same way. You can do this with linux, but it's a bit tricky to setup; especially with different soundcards.

If your bent on using windows, go with M-audio.

Robscix

I suggest a multi-input card such as the Delta 1010LT. It is better to buy a item with more I/O then you need for hte current job as you may need more down the road.

Recording applications will allow you to record from multiple inputs, easily.

You may want to look at the 1010 with the rack mount module as it has mic preamps IIRC.
You cannot just connect studio grade mics to line level inputs. You need a mic preamp in betweem to bring up the levels to proper input levels.
I don't know if you have external preamps or other gear so I recommend both.

You could always use a mixer in the setup somwhere.
However, if you want mutiple tracks recorded simultaneously you need a discrete input for each track or mic.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts