What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My Boot settings (Bootsect.bak/Boot directory) installed to another HDD?

chouchou

I have a 36GB raptor i was planning on running my OS/Vital programs off of.
I did a fresh install of Vista x64.

Problems arise when i first wanted to reboot. I booted from the raptor drive, and got the BOOTMGR is Missing error.
Following that, i restarted and booted using my 640GB WD (used for storage) and it boot up fine TO THE OS LOCATED IN THE RAPTOR?!

i checked my *supposed to be blank* WD640 and the boot settings are all stored in there. This ever happen to any of you? if it has what was your workaround? i want to boot straight from my raptor......

MacJunky

Yea, I had this happen to me. Highly annoying because I did not notice until I had everything setup to my liking, in the end people just said to reinstall with only the HDD you want to install to connected.

chouchou

that the only way to fix this? gah what a drag.. i must have reformmatted like 4 times today

chouchou

thanks for the suggestion bro.. just did what yous aid - works.. unfortunate that everytime i reformat i'll have to d/c my 640 lol

MacJunky

Well, I don't think every time, I think that it is just windows setup seeing the files there and saying hey there is a bootloader already! lets use that! or something. *shrug* I have only seen this once with my hardware and that was when there were other drives in the machine at the time that had windows installed to them. I have never encountered it with all wiped drives.

Chilly

Vista x64? Just pop the DVD in again with the 640GB removed and select repair from the option menu once the DVD loads, It will notice that windows is missing a bootloader and reload one on for you. Hope that helps! :thumb: