What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My CES Disappointment - Little In The Way of Cases

FreeKnight

Silverstone's SFX/L power supplies were known to have questionable or even faulty fans/fan mechanisms - their attempt to have a fan sensor type that would operate based on need - resulted in customers looking into replacing the fans. Fortunately, Corsair seemed to figure out how to build a decent SFX power supply and I think Seasonic has an interesting one, too. I guess that means that a SFF / ITX build is doable with decent power supplies, finally. But, the NCase and other customized cases are very expensive and when you factor in the Canadian currency and shipping, they make such cases a particularly expensive purchase, indeed.

Yep, allegedly the rev 2 of Silverstone SFX and SFX L fixed that, but I can't say for certain, the only SFX PSU I have right now is the the Corsair SF600.

The high end and custom cases are definitely pricey, the NCase, Inverse, Dancase, etc. It's just another one of the 'caveats' that are worth bearing in mind. The cougar QBX is reasonably priced though and still pretty small, and the console style RVZ01/2 or the ML07/09 and the Node 404 are both much more affordable, but then again you immediately have caveats, GPU cooling in the Node 404 especially.