What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery My CM 690 II Advanced Build

Got this case as soon as it came out, and would not trade it for anything else (well maybe for some high end lian-li....)

Painted the mesh, brackets couple times already but red and white were getting too flashy so I went back to the good old black.

One or two more things to do, but the main has been done already. Sadly, a corner of my plexi broke, i will have to replace it in the next weeks.

So first of all my config:

CM 690 II Advanced (with 6 r4 red leds fansfrom CM as well)
Seasonic M12II 520W
Asus Maximus 3 Formula
i5 750 @ 4ghz
EVGA GTX 570 (soon with backplate)
4gb of G.skill Ripjaws @ 2000mhz
SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Crucial C300 64gb
2x WD Caviar Black 750gb
Thermalright Ven-X with 2 Gentle Typhoons AP-15

013i.jpg

019ai.jpg

022akf.jpg

024flv.jpg

025vqn.jpg

027bdr.jpg

030xh.jpg

036ur.jpg

So I wanted to make the case as black as possible, whiile still looking classy, i repainted the mesh, the pci brackets and the hdd brackets black. Painted my DVD casing black as well. I had to cut my HDD cage so that i could fit my SSD in without removing my fans or having any extra HDD mounting.

041uuj.jpg

As you can see, even turned on, it doesnt looks like much, only the fans are kinda redish because of teh leds, but since i painted them black again as well, they arent really bright anymore.

The main element of my case is by far its lighting. Im not a fan of cold cathodes because you need space for an inverter and because they are big and usually fit at the top and the bottom of the case. Leds strips that companies like lian-li and nzxt are cheap and arent really bright. So i ended up getting some high quality 12v white led strips from an electronic store near me. The advantage of those led strips is that i can cut them so that i can ge tthe best ambient lighting in the case. I have a foot on top, a foot on bottom, 3 inches next to the pci slots, an inch next to the hdd bays, 2 inches at teh front of the case to light the bottom area and 2 inches in the 5.25 bays. With a little soldering and crimping, it was easy to hook upall the led strips to a terminal block that is linked to a molex connector. The strips also are hooked up to the switch on top of the case that usually controls the from fan led. It allows me to turn on and off the leds pretty fast and easily.

022pez.jpg

As you can see my fans also are hooked to a terminal block, using the 5v of that same molex connector.

Here is what it looks like with the leds turned on

054nd.jpg

056mu.jpg

063gd.jpg

088ca.jpg

096q.jpg

100yr.jpg

102vf.jpg

104wx.jpg

099x.jpg

And finally, here is my setup. I have a 2408WFP (1920x1200) from dell placed horizontally and a 2208WFP (1680x1060) from dell as well placed vertically. I have a Steelseries 6GV2 mechanical kb (i would never go back to regular cheap keyboards now :p), a QcK Heavy mousepad and a Xai mouse, with my Sens HD555's as well.

120qj.jpg

yhszNU5ud8tokZKU3SNXvQ

Last edited:

slippy

That's one sweet rig! How did you get the letters in the 5.25" bays?

Polygon

Damn, best 690 II setup I've seen. How did you do the lighting for the front bays (Intel/Evga/Asus)... cut-outs of some kind?

Very nice :shok:

Thanks!

The letters in the 5.25 bays was a bit of an experiment that turned out quite well. I simply cut a piece of acrylic i had left over from my sidewindow the size of the 3 5.25 bays. After that i printed the letters the way i wanted them to be, lined them up on the acrylic and started cutting the protective paper of whatever it is on the acrylic with an x-acto knife. Then I removed all the extra cardboard (lets call it cardboard xD), leaving the letters covered. Then I applied about 10 small layers of paint and removed the masking of the letters once it was dry. Then I applied 2-3 clear coats and i was done. Sanded down the back part of the plexi and fixed in to place and installed an led strip behind.

_dangtx_

Banned
very,very nice.

thats one of the cleanest, if not the cleanest builds ive seen to date!

wowzers!

Spikemaul

Very Nice Build!!:thumb: I have the same case and would love to do a similar window. What's the dimensions of your cutout and plexi? I really think that the terminal strip for the fan's was well thought out. I didn't realize you could put two 120mm fans in the bottom of the case like you have, guess I better get me another blue cm R4. Once again VERY NICE BUILD!! :thumb:

Thank you!

The plexi is around 40cm by 39cm and there is a border of about 1.5cmover the cutout for the screws and the look! The hole is about as big as i could make it without haveing problems screwing and cutting: 37cm by 36cm.

Once i discovered termianl block, i didnt want to go back to regular 3pin connectors :p. They are really helpfull especially for all my led strips since i wanted everything to be connected to a single molex connector.

Latest posts