What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My drivers license exam tmr, any advice?

Babrbarossa

Don't be afraid of teh gas, and remember that brakes are for old ladies. And be sure you don't miss any of the orange pilons!

No- seriously- good luck. Ticket to freedom.

They nailed me my first time after saying "pull up and park right up here" and so I did and it was too close to a stop sign. I'd never heard of that rule at the time.

cmac79

just get over the nerves and stay calm and relaxed and watch ur surroundings....first time i did my road test i was so nervous i never even made it out on to the road cause while i was doin angle parkin my front wheel just barely scrapped a pylon, which here is an instant fail. i was so nervous and sketchy i forgot to keep an eye on my front end while parking. even tho i barely touched it, if i was out on the road and did that its the same as if i hit a car. so just be aware of ur surroundings is my 2 cents lol

frontier204

+1 on the watch your nerves part...
For my first (Ontario level 1) test I was pretty much shaking the whole time; got a gigantic lecture for hitting the curb on both parallel park and three-point-turn but passed anyway. I assume the test to go from G1 to G2 is a joke? I really thought I should've failed that one...
For the second test I was more calm but this time 2 fire trucks, 1 ambulance, and the examiner making very worried sounds almost got to me. The examiner again passed me but said I went into turns going too fast (yet still at half the speed I normally see as people make turns in Ottawa).

Iceman

Don't try to turn left on a yellow. If some guy coming the other way doesn't feel like stopping, and forces you to turn left on the red, it's game over. Just stay back and wait for the green.

Perineum

Don't sweat it. You'll pass or fail completely regardless of how well you drive, unless you do something illegal, like no seat belt, speeding, or crashing into something.

But if people consider you to be a decent or good driver that's all you can really do. You'll try your best and if the instructor is in a good mood you'll be alright.

I got my licence 18 years ago, before I took my practical I could drive quite well, better than a lot of adults. I could easily run over a tin can with any tire you wanted, I could "stunt" the car, I had pretty reasonable control.

I failed my exam. The instructor said that because I didn't have my hands at "10 and 2" and because I shifted while in a turn (I was driving standard) that I didn't have any control of the vehicle.

My friend had one hour of actual driving experience, and he passed. He went on to have multiple accidents.

So, really, if you pass or fail it has very little reflection on you... and I honestly wish there was skill involved so we could get rid of some of these seriously timid drivers that are out there causing accidents.

Arinoth

Staff member
Exaggerate your mirror / Blindspot checks so that they're obvious to the examiner.

Yep thats one of the things they love to see even though no one really drives like that.
Another would be keeping track of your speed, try to never go over the speed limit as they will ding you for it, but don't let yourself that much under the speed limit either.

Kayen

Thanks for all the tips guys !
I've been driving well enough, making safe options, have been driving for about 6 months now, and have pretty good control over the vehicle.
Lately i've been puposely doing more shoulder & mirror checks just for the heck of it .

What i'm scred of is the residential area we drive in has alot of trees, and i won't be able to spot the uncontrolled intersection on time.
And my normal park leaves somewhat lacking.
Speeding ? I'm not at that stage yet like every other teen, i control my speed most of the time.
Damn my friend who failed 4x ... going down a road who's limit is 80km/h ... we were somehow going 120km/h .......

omgwtf

Don't sweat it, you'll pass for sure. Just do your best and control your nerves. ..I've been through too much shit with those damn idiots...:haha: