What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My first ever build, help me out

paolo

This will be my first ever build and i need your suggestions to make it better as long as it's around the same price range
tongue.gif
$1200

I already have an OS(XP), a dvd burner(pioneer111d) and a monitor(dell lcd 1280x1024).

I plan on playing alot of games so i'll have it overclocked, just want the best possible parts for it.

*Some of these are price matched*

NCIX VIP MEMBERSHIP FEE PER YEAR -------------------- Free(500pts)
E6400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.13GHZ ------ $208.99
ASUS P5N-E SLI-----------------------------------------$150.12
Buffalo Firestix 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL5-5-5---------$119.99
EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB----------------$319.99
Thermaltake Armor JR. Tower Case------------------------$108.00
Scythe Ninja Plus REV.B Heatpipe Fanless Heatsink---------$39.99
OCZ GameXStream 600W---------------------------------$94.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB------------------------$83.99
Arctic Silver 5 HIGH-DENSITY-----------------------------$8.97
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard & Mouse Set------$23.06
Cooler Master Neon Blue LED 120MM Case Fan ------------$5.51
PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING WITHOUT OS INSTALLATION--$25.00

Total - $1,188.60

Is the e6400 the best to overclock in this type of budget? ($1200 or lower)
Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Babrbarossa

Welcome to the forum!- That's a well researched sytem. The one change I might make is switching to the 640 MB version of the 8800 GTS. I think it will be worth the extra 45 bucks for the games coming out in the next year. Some people might argue that the 6420 might be the better way to spend the extra cash though...The prices of C2D's are going down again on the 22nd, so if you're waiting until then, it might be worth reinvestigation.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, I'd vote for a 6420 vice the 6400. Might not make a big difference in most games, but tasks like ripping mp3s should benefit from the extra cache.

Cases are often a strong personal choice, but would you consider other suggestions on cases, and if so, what would be your requirements?

mo' power

If you plan on overclocking, you might want to think of adding at least one extra fan for good airflow. Overclocking and your video card will generate a lot of heat. Cool components are happy components! Looks like a nice system. Please post pics!

paolo

Would you know where i can find the 640mb version for $45 more? i'm having some trouble finding it. thanks

k then i'll grab the 6420 then. i also might wait until the price cut on the 22nd and see what i can work with.

for the case, i like the way the armor jr. looks but i am always open for suggestions. i prefer that it's black, with no sliding doors to get to the drives/power button but that's basically it.

anyways the last couple days i've been researching alot about computers so i know a bit, but i will need help to pull this off.

agian, thanks alot :thumb:

*edit i also noticed that e6420 is only a bit cheaper than the e6600 would that be a better choice $230 for the e6420 $250 for the e6600. or does it really matter since i'll overclock cpu anyways? i've read that the e6600 doesn't overclock as well as the others. *

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
If you've had a good look around at the different cases and decided on the Armor jr. then it's not a bad choice, I just suggested it because many folks often jump at the first case they see, or just pick one the same as their friend has.... :)

Overall, looks like a pretty good selection of parts. I especially like the fact that you didn't try to skimp on the PSU... :)

paolo

Jmac

I personally wouldn't go with the P5N-E SLI for a couple reasons:

1) SLI on the 650i boards is limited to 8x per slot in SLI mode and, with an 8800 GTS, is going to create a bottleneck. You'll still get better performance in SLI, obviously, but you won't get optimum performance.

2) The P5N-E SLI uses electrolytic capacitors when several competitors are using solid capacitors. After using boards with solid caps, it's hard to go back to electrolytic when you're overclocking. Solid caps are more stable and more durable at high temperatures.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure some will disagree with me.

Delavan

I own this case and I like it a lot. I switched the 120 MM exhaust fan for an Antec TRICOOL (3 speed+Bleu LEDs)..that window/side panel is really "pretty" if you ask me...
I'm a happy customer...but like sswilson mentionned...it's a good choice amongst other good ones also...I like the fact that the whole front is filtered though. A lot better than gathering all dust bunnies in the house thanks to a 900...:rofl:

Latest posts