What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My first PC build, opinion and advice

wolverKZ

Hi guys,

I made my first mini gaming PC build and I need your opinion/advice
PCPartpicker.png
The case is Fractal Design Node 202 Mini-ITX Slim (It is not on the PCPartPicker)

I tried to make it less than 1200USD.

I will probably build it around spring or summer.

Bond007

Very solid, but a couple points.

1. Mothebroard - If ordering online, the motherboard may not support the 3600 out of box and would need an older cpu to update it. If it is newly produced it shouldn't be an issue though. MSI motherboards mostly allow bios flashing without a CPU, or an MSI board with "Max" in the name will guarantee support out of the box.

2. Power supply - Go for EVGA G2 or G3, or seasonic focus plus. Better quality for similar price.

3. SSD - ditch that one. It's fine if you have to have a 2.5' drive, but you will want an nvme based drive (faster and no cables). Bang for buck usually go to hp ex920 or ex 950, adata sx8200 or sx8200 pro, corsair mp510, or silicon power p34A80. Pass on intel 660p / crucial p1 (yes they are cheaper, but they are slower.

Last edited:

wolverKZ

Very solid, but a couple points.

1. Mothebroard - If ordering online, the motherboard may not support the 3600 out of box and would need an older cpu to update it. If it is newly produced it shouldn't be an issue though. MSI motherboards mostly allow bios flashing without a CPU, or an MSI board with "Max" in the name will guarantee support out of the box.

2. Power supply - Go for EVGA G2 or G3, or seasonic focus plus. Better quality for similar price.

3. SSD - ditch that one. It's fine if you have to have a 2.5' drive, but you will want an nvme based drive (faster and no cables). Bang for buck usually go to hp ex920 or ex 950, adata sx8200 or sx8200 pro, corsair mp510, or silicon power p34A80. Pass on intel 660p / crucial p1 (yes they are cheaper, but they are slower.

Thanks for the reply.

1. I hope that I won't need to update as I don't have older amd CPUs. Also, I couldn't find mini-ITX MSI motheboard with "MAX" in the name.

2. I couldn't find these PSU with SFX Form Factor.

3. Good point. I will go for HP ex920.

Additionally, PCPartPicker estimates 304W so is it ok if I choose between 500W and 600W PSU to save money?

Bond007

Sorry, I missed that you were after an SFX PSU. As long as you are getting a quality power supply, something in the 550w area would be fine.
For the ssd, don’t feel forced into one specific model, keep an eye on sales.

MARSTG

I wouldn't go sfx case components will be cramped and poorly ventilated contributing to a noisier system. Better go with the FD Mini C or even better Meshify C Mini. Add some flair to that rgb mobo and complement it with a rgb heatsink and rgb ram.Untitled.jpg

moocow

Silverston Raven RVZ03 got okay review from GN but they used a R5-2400G instead of a R5-2600 so I'm not sure how much difference it would be. If I'm moving up to mATX case, I would ditch the ITX board since it makes no sense to pay the premium for it.

wolverKZ

I wouldn't go sfx case components will be cramped and poorly ventilated contributing to a noisier system. Better go with the FD Mini C or even better Meshify C Mini. Add some flair to that rgb mobo and complement it with a rgb heatsink and rgb ram.View attachment 27441

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I want to travel with my PC, so that's why I chose node 202 so I could put it in my carry-on bag.

As for resolution, I will play on Full HD.

wolverKZ

Sorry, I missed that you were after an SFX PSU. As long as you are getting a quality power supply, something in the 550w area would be fine.
For the ssd, don’t feel forced into one specific model, keep an eye on sales.
Got it, thank you.

wolverKZ

Silverston Raven RVZ03 got okay review from GN but they used a R5-2400G instead of a R5-2600 so I'm not sure how much difference it would be. If I'm moving up to mATX case, I would ditch the ITX board since it makes no sense to pay the premium for it.
RVZ03 looks good but I found it more expensive compared to Node 202

Latest posts