What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My i7-6700 Won't Run At Proper Speeds

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
my PC started chugging recently and on a whim, I checked the task manager and it said my CPU is running at 780mhz. nothing I do will make it boost to anything higher than that. I'll list what I've done to try to fix so far.

1) changed from balanced performance to high performance, restarted, no change.
2) changed from higher performance to maximum performance, restarted, no change.
3) tech said to change the intelppm start in the register to 4 from 3 and restart. changed to 3.4ghz, the stock speed. tech said to return it to the previous setting and restart again. returned to 780mhz. performance was still set to maximum and still is right now.

so my CPU refuses to run anything higher than 780mhz, no matter what the performance / power is set to, unless we tell the system to run it at base clock permanently. I'd rather avoid that as it's in my M900x Tiny with a blower that gets bloody loud when it's got to cool things down.

any thoughts as to what's going on?

Shadowmeph

what are you using to read the the cpu . on know on my cpu I use open hardware manager it it is showing at times my cpu jumpd t 6ghz which I know is wrong so I boot into the biios and see that it is running normal in my case it is a software compatiblity with my CPU issue

Marzipan

what are you using to read the the cpu . on know on my cpu I use open hardware manager it it is showing at times my cpu jumpd t 6ghz which I know is wrong so I boot into the biios and see that it is running normal in my case it is a software compatiblity with my CPU issue
software compatibility issue? please elaborate.

Windows Task Manager reports my CPU's at 0.78ghz, with no fluctuations in speed at all, no matter what I do. same for HWiNFO64...797mhz with fluctuations of only a mhz or two.

Izerous

Folding Team
Makes me think it might be a voltage issue with auto clocks etc trying to adjust. Maybe a voltage regulator etc isn't quite working right and instead of out right crashing it is dropping the voltages in turn dropping the clocks. Maybe time to take it apart for a visual inspection of capacitors etc.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm sure it's not related, but it almost sounds like what happens to certain dell laptops if you aren't using the proper dell power brick.... they won't charge the battery, and run the processor at half (or less) speed.

Marzipan

I'm sure it's not related, but it almost sounds like what happens to certain dell laptops if you aren't using the proper dell power brick.... they won't charge the battery, and run the processor at half (or less) speed.
that may be it. I just changed the registry setting to run it at base clock full time. Windows task manager is saying its 3.4ghz, but the PC is still sluggish, so I checked in HWiNFO64 and it's saying the CPU is still running at 780mhz.

sswilson

Staff member
that may be it. I just changed the registry setting to run it at base clock full time. Windows task manager is saying its 3.4ghz, but the PC is still sluggish, so I checked in HWiNFO64 and it's saying the CPU is still running at 780mhz.

Yeah, but the dell thing isn't a hardware induced reaction to poor quality power, it's an arbitrarily imposed restriction based on the lack of the third sensor pin. Is this a "thin" client mini-PC that's powered off of a power brick, and are you using a non-OEM brick?

Latest posts