What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

my MAC addresses register, but they still won't work. HELP!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
the story goes like this. my ISP is Telus DSL. I had my PC's MAC and my Dlink Dl-604's MAC addresses registered and we always worked thru the 604. the PC's was registered in case the 604 kicked the bucket.

anyhow, I got a Dlink WBR-1310 and I could register it just fine, replaced the PC MAC with it's, but cannot connect. I would get an error page or the OCA page. I can log into the router just fine and navigate thru it just fine, but that's it. I should state this is via a wired connection. I called Telus to ensure that it was registered properly and they put it in for me...but that didn't work either. because that didn't work, we went and got a Dlink DIR-655 and again, the exact same problem. I can navigate thru the router just fine, but the registered MAC won't work, even tho it's accepted by the OCA system! I tried cloning the 604's address into the 655 and I got a a bit of a connection. I say bit because I was getting constant disconnects, whether I was wired or wireless. :shok:

I am at a total loss of what to do! probably going to take the 655 back and try another brand entirely...something like a WRT54GL or maybe a WRT300N or 350N...tho I would love a WRT600N, Cisco hasn't accommodated the CRTC requirements. :sad:

Jmac

I usually plug the modem directly to my computer, register the computer, then hook the router to the modem, hook the PC to the router, clone the PC's MAC address onto the router, then everything works fine.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I just went through this. You are only allowed two registered mac address's with your account.

Go to Telus Ecare and log in or sign up if you haven't before. In your stats there is a place that shows you the equipment you have registered. You can delete your old modem and then register your new one.

Marzipan

let me clarify. you can only have two items registered in the OCA page...so I know I can only have two MAC's registered. I cleared out my PC's original MAC leaving only the Dl-604 and used the newly vacated space to register the WBR-1310, which didn't work, so then I cleared that out when we got the DIR-615. when that didn't work, I tried to re-register my PC MAC, but now not even it's accepted.

as for Telus eCare...I'd prefer not to have bloatware crap like that on my system. I've never had need for it before and this is the first time I've had a glitch with Telus after 4 years, besides the occasional disconnect due to an accident or storm or some such.

Marzipan

I used to be a technical supervisor at sympatico, we never had any policies in regards to mac addresses. I know with cable though, I have had to call support a couple times for them to clear my mac address out of the arp table.
I believe it's PPPoE like you asked. can I call them and ask them to clear the ARP table or whatever it is, you mentioned?

Marzipan

I have yet to try this, but it was recommended to me to remove all IP's from the OCA registration and then to power down all my equipment, including modem and router and let em sit for about 10 minutes, then to fire up and register the new routers MAC and go from there.

I would still be interested in hearing more about the clearing of this mentioned ARP table...if it's something that influences Telus ADSL???

Marzipan

fixed the problem...

well, this goes to show us just how well none of us know DSL. the problem, once it was stated to me by Dlink support, made me remember something I haven't had to do in ages...but what's stupid is how the manual or instructions didn't say this is stuff you have to do.

anyhow, without further ado, you have to clone your PC address in the router, get an IP assigned to you and then you go into the OCA and register your routers MAC address. soon as I did that, everything worked.

what's a real frustration tho is how you get people who can speak English, but with terrible accents, so you cannot understand a word they're saying. I had that happen with my first call to Telus days ago and just had it happen again with the Dlink rep. I had to ask for a new rep cause I just couldn't understand her.

it's funny, but if I get a guy, I can understand them, but if I get a woman, I cannot. :blarg:

Latest posts