What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My new computer. Come see please :P

Song

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the whole computer construction scene, and I feel as I need support for my new computer I'm about to assemble. If you could, could you tell me if the parts are compatible with each other. Also if this computer will work pretty efficiently. Thanks! P.S - Missing parts from the list such as the HDD and Cd-Drive will be provided by the computer I'm using now ^^.
My parts as of follows:
EVGA NF59 Nforce 590 SLI ATX AM2 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E4 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard. EVGA NF59 Nforce 590 SLI ATX AM2 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E4 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard - DirectCanada

Amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Windsor 3.0GHZ 2000FSB 2X1MB 90NM Retail Box. Amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Windsor 3.0GHZ 2000FSB 2X1MB 90NM Retail Box - DirectCanada

Ocz Platinum Xtc REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 240PIN Dimm Dual Channel Memory Kit.
Ocz Platinum Xtc REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 240PIN Dimm Dual Channel Memory Kit - DirectCanada

I'm still deciding between these two video cards below.

BFG GeForce 8600GT OC 565MHZ 256MB 1.4GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card.
BFG GeForce 8600GT OC 565MHZ 256MB 1.4GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card - DirectCanada

BFG GeForce 8600GTS OC 710MHZ 256MB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card.
BFG GeForce 8600GTS OC 710MHZ 256MB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card - DirectCanada

I'm not majorly concerned with being unable to play games on super high settings, but playing games with decent graphics wouldn't hurt. What would you guys recommend? Both these cards seem cheap right now with the rebates, which one would give me the most out of my money? I'd also like the card to last me quite a while, either alone or with another to run in SLI.
and finally, my case.

Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT SILVER-BLACK No PS. Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT SILVER-BLACK No PS - DirectCanada

Well, here is my future computer. If you have any suggestions about it, please post. Thanks!

frosty

iim no expert.... too me months to find the peices for my computer, so I just wanted to say "congrats" on your upcoming build... I hope you have a lot of fun and are excited as I was!!!! Good luck

sswilson

Staff member
If you're planning on doing any overclocking, you should pick up some form of after-market cooling. (A little birdie told me that there might be a review on a budget cooling model tomorrow..... :) ).

Other than that... looks like a decent build. I'm not up on the 8600 line of cards so can't offer any advice as to which way to go in that regard.

JD

Staff member
Definately get the 8600GTS. If you can afford it, get the 8800GTS 320MB.

The 8600GT is pretty junky. Not worth the money IMO.

What about a PSU? Make sure you get something decent from Antec, Enermax, etc. Theres a ton of reviews on here to help you pick. Don't cheap out on the PSU as you'll regret it sooner or later.

I'd get a case with a bit more cooling though. 80mm fans are usually pretty noisy to get decent airflow. You may want to look into the Antec Sonata III (3). It comes with a 500W PSU as well and has been reviewed on here.

Otherwise it looks like a fine AMD build.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
If you're planning on doing any overclocking, you should pick up some form of after-market cooling.

I totally agree, but theres a few very interesting (and inexpensive) options nowadays from arctic cooling that should do nicely. For example, i just built a system using the freezer 64 pwm am2 cooler:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21233&vpn=FREEZER-64-PWM&manufacture=Arctic Cooling
and a matching AC pwm case fan as well:
(80mm)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25011&vpn=AF8025PWM&manufacture=Arctic Cooling
(92mm)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25012&vpn=AF9225PWM&manufacture=Arctic Cooling
(120mm)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25013&vpn=AF12025PWM&manufacture=Arctic Cooling

The beauty this setup is that the case fan can share the single pwm header on your motherboard (since very few motherboards have more than 2 pwm headers still) that your cpu cooler will be using, so they will both run quieter when your system is idle and ramp up the rpms when running under load. My client and I were both amazed at how cool and silent this system ran (albeit it was a 4800+ 2.5GHz with 65w TDP) approx. 25-28c idle and 33-35c load with an ambient temperature of around 24c. But it should still work fine for a 6000+ without breaking your budget.

Also, i totally agree with jdrom17, don't bother with the GT version of 8600. If the best you can afford is the 8600GTS then get that. Otherwise, try to get an 8800GTS 320mb on special with some rebates to try to cut the price down, it'll be well worth the hassle of mailing in the rebates and will give you very very noticeable performance differences over the 8600GTS.

Hope all the info helps... i think i was rambling a bit there...

enaberif

System looks good tho why are you not going with Intel? Their processors are eating up AMD and you can get a lot better of a system for a few dollars more.

Don't bother with the 8600 series cards as they are nothing more than a DX10 version of a 7900 card. The 8800 GTS 320mb is a far better card and will give you more headroom down the road.

Song

Thanks for the awesome tips so far everyone.
So the 8600gt for 99 dollars isn't enough to consider? :shok:

Oh, and as for the power supply, I'm thinking of going with a Ultra / X-Finity / 600-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI Ready / Titanium / Power Supply. Found at - Ultra X-Finity 600-Watt ATX Dual 80mm Fan SATA-Ready SLI Ready Titanium Power Supply ULT31847 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

heheh... guess you can say I'm going a bit cheap here, but I believe if it works fine and will run my computer, it'll do. ^^
As for noise, I'm not that concerned with noises. As the computer I'm using right now, has been making an awful alot of noise the past 4-6 years. I can hear the HDD's humming/highpitch noise upstairs fro my livingroom XD.

But if anyone has any suggestions or concerns with what I'm using, please share still. Feedback always help :biggrin:

enaberif

Thanks for the awesome tips so far everyone.
So the 8600gt for 99 dollars isn't enough to consider? :shok:

Oh, and as for the power supply, I'm thinking of going with a Ultra / X-Finity / 600-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI Ready / Titanium / Power Supply. Found at - Ultra X-Finity 600-Watt ATX Dual 80mm Fan SATA-Ready SLI Ready Titanium Power Supply ULT31847 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

heheh... guess you can say I'm going a bit cheap here, but I believe if it works fine and will run my computer, it'll do. ^^
As for noise, I'm not that concerned with noises. As the computer I'm using right now, has been making an awful alot of noise the past 4-6 years. I can hear the HDD's humming/highpitch noise upstairs fro my livingroom XD.

But if anyone has any suggestions or concerns with what I'm using, please share still. Feedback always help :biggrin:

Don't cheap out on the damn power supply :censored: :angry2: :rtfm: :doh: Its one of the dumbest things to do with a computer. Buy something good and inexpensive but stick with a brand name and quality; lots exist.

The 8600s belong in a HTPC or office pc not a gaming pc

JD

Staff member
Get the Antec EarthWatts are least. They're fairly cheap yet of good quality.

Don't get those cheapy Ultra ones though...

Definitely get at least a 8600GTS if you want to do any kind of gaming.

BMWDriver

What's your display ? CRT ? CRTs are more flexible than LCDs, though you can get a fairly good image even outside of the latter's native resolution when gaming. But it can get downright ugly. It's something to consider if you want good performance out of an LCD.

My advice is that you can always get a better graphics card some months later when prices go down. It just keeps getting better for us as the battle rages between AMD(ATI) and Nvidia.

Latest posts