What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My new CPU seems to get warm

mrlie3

According to the review from here, my new e6550 chip suppose to run at very cool temperature with stock HSF. However, the SpeedFan shows that CPU running around high 40s Celsius and each cores running at 30s Celsius. Is this normal, or do I need to do something to make it lower? (Like what reviewer has done by lowering the voltage?)

JD

Staff member
Temperature readings are all subjective. It depends mainly on your ambient (room) temperature and how much air flow your case has.

Also make sure you mounted the heat sink properly. Those stock Intel ones I found were a pain to put on. Make sure all 4 mounts are secure by wiggling them. If they move alot, then its not in fully.

Scratch

It also depends on what utility you're using to monitor your temperatures.
I am now using RightMark CPU Utility as it seems to give more accurate overall readings of temps VCore and multiple CPU clocks than any program I have used.
CPUZ is innacurate and Speedfan was 15c out of sync

JD

Staff member
CoreTemp works fine for me. RightMark seems to give the same readings.

mrlie3

Thanks jdrom17 and Scratch for recommending Rightmark. It shows the temperature at 27 Celsius :)

mrlie3

I have installed nTune & NVIDIA monitorview from nvidia that measures cpu and gpu temperature, and it shows 45 and 65 Celsius for these hardwares at idle. Now I don't know which one to believe :( My computer case is Sonata III and CPU is e6550, and GPU is 8800gts. All hardwares are at stock speed.

And according to nvidia, CPU fan is at around 2050 RPM

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I used riva tuner to monitor temps when I was trying to track down overtemp issues with my last 1950pro.

Twitter