What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My new Dell 15 5575 ... IMHO a good deal

justmehereajax

I am pretty Happy how much I paid for this laptop $499.

It featured:
-AMD Ryzen 2500U with VEGA 8 GPU
-4GB DDR4 2400MHz
-1TB SATA HD 2.5”

Those are the things I like about the laptop.
I upgraded and put in a 970 EVO 500GB, 8GB of DDR4 more (12GB now) and 860 QVO 1TB.

For the dislike...

-TN 1080p 15.6” screen
- Runs at 70 C during normal operation

These are the things I dislike.
I am soon gonna replace the thermal paste and adjust how the laptop stand cooling fan direct air properly next. Right now the two slim 80mm Direct air into the one opening.... I think I should make one exhaust and one push. Separate them properly with some foam tape to channel the air.

It was hard adjusting to the poor TN panel from my old IPS panel on my older Dell 15 from 2014 with a i3-5005U. But I try to draw graphics as fast as possible because the screen kinda bothers my eyes lol
I wear blue light filtering prescription lenses with transition lenses too.

I tried looking for a IPS panel but that is for the Dell model being sold at Costco with Touch Display. Those use the newer 40 pin cable so I am outta luck.

I am gonna figure out how to calibrate the TN panel properly but I am pleased with this purchase.

It is now selling for $650 at BestBuy.

I was wanting to buy another laptop/desktop after returning my Dell G5 because it was too bulky and YT videos did not play right ...... Wanted to use my evo 970 so bad because it makes a huge difference for me running VMs and saving Huge 80mb+ adobe illustrator files for graphics I do. I run the main OS and VM on the EVO 970 and saving files on the QVO. It helps.

justmehereajax

I have been putting the laptop through its paces.

I benchmarked it. Using CPUZ built in tool. It at least beats my previous desktop PC with a stock i7-2600K CPU which is great! Complete desktop replacement in both single and multi-thread.

I am currently downloading CS:GO because that is my go to game. I haven’t played it in a while.

Does anyone still play BF4?

According to PASSMARK, the VEGA 8 gets a score of 1700. I think it should run OK.
I used to have a AMD HD 7770 and it ran OK at 60 FPS low settings @ 1080p but it has a score of 2200 though.... I loved BF4. I haven’t tried the new Battlefield series since.

justmehereajax

Having the ability to play some games finally on a laptop is just gravy.

The last time I had a gaming laptop was back in 2004 (The Dell G5 doesn’t count because I ditched it Too soon to try).
In 2004 I had a Pentium 3.06GHz with HT and 512mB of RAM and a onboard Radeon ATI 9000 I think. It could play CS Source so that was ok.

Last edited:

justmehereajax

I tried running CSGO and the performance was poor ... hmm...... 720p is the only option for high 60+ FPS according to comments found on the web.

I guess I expected too much from this. Lol

Bond007

I tried running CSGO and the performance was poor ... hmm...... 720p is the only option for high 60+ FPS according to comments found on the web.

I guess I expected too much from this. Lol

Yeah...while AMD integrated graphics are the fastest (by quite a bit), you are still looking at low settings to run the vast majority of games.

EDIT: Also, by running 8gb and 4gb ram you would be in single channel mode, which will drop fps by a notable amount. Fast dual channel makes a difference.

justmehereajax

Yeah...while AMD integrated graphics are the fastest (by quite a bit), you are still looking at low settings to run the vast majority of games.

EDIT: Also, by running 8gb and 4gb ram you would be in single channel mode, which will drop fps by a notable amount. Fast dual channel makes a difference.

I really like this laptop so far. Because it is small and light like my old dell.

I heard intel has flex memory so different ram sizes can run dual channel for the amount of the smallest sized stick. So sticks 8 and 4 the 4 with 4 amounts will run dual channel while the remaining 4 is single right?

Does amd have it?

Bond007

I really like this laptop so far. Because it is small and light like my old dell.

I heard intel has flex memory so different ram sizes can run dual channel for the amount of the smallest sized stick. So sticks 8 and 4 the 4 with 4 amounts will run dual channel while the remaining 4 is single right?

Does amd have it?

Good question. I honestly don’t know...I assumed not, but I am not sure.

Biff73

While this laptop is reasonably priced,I would'nt consider it good since it has more than 1 serious flaws,1)TN panel=terrible viewing angles & colour reproduction.2)No discrete gpu means poor gaming performance.3)70c is not that bad,but not great either.This below has IPS screen,decent gaming performance,superb cooling performance & reasonably priced,performance wise it can run GTA V benchmark at 115fps normal or medium settings,CSGO is a a piece of cake for this laptop.

Last edited:

Latest posts