What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My system the HDD killer?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Is my system in Sig the serial hdd killer?

I have rma 6 HDDs latest return is a brand new drive. Others were refurbs. Drive in question is the iron Wolf 6 Tb hdd I have tried different ports different cables but I get the same result usually a few days into use of drive.

Iv copied data over GTA 5 sniper elite 4.

I'm going to try the new replacement in my plex server.
Or I can use my Lsi raid card a 9280 8i I think it has the sas to data break out cables.

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
My Pcie/m.2 drives aren't affected the only thing affected is when I plug in Sara drives ill report bac tonight when I try the sas/sata raid card.

JD

Staff member
Bad shipping up to where you are maybe? Perhaps somebody is tossing around the drives in transit.

And how are you determining the drive is faulty and not the SATA controller or even simply the SATA cable?

KaptCrunch

Data corruptions on Drives = brown outs, voltage line not constant .

Changed MB’s, Had same issue till went with a UPS unit with AVR

No lost data after that

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Tried my raid card different ports waiting till off to test my ex server with it. It looked like it was packed well.ill have to check out mem Express when I get vacation again. But that's how this all started lol I carried drive back with me. Then it gave that error in bios to back up data. Disk info showed it has always been spin count errors.

AkG

Most likely answer: dirty power. Stick that rig on a pure sine UPS (not a cheap POS, but a GOOD one).
Less likely: slightly out of spec 12 or 5 v rail(s). HDDs are sensitive to ripple.

NVMe get their power via the mobo... so the mobo will usually 'condition' the power before it gets to the M2 port (its why dirty/cheap PSUs dont usually kill CPUs these days)... but at some point the underlying issue IS going to kill the mobo (and maybe take something else with it).

Your hdds are your 'canary in the coal mine'. That canary is dead. Time to find the root cause. Maybe you got lucky and the canary just died of hear disease... but it would be unusual to have SIX die like that. I am assuming different batches of HDDs though (as bad batches DO happen from time to time).

Shadowarez

Folding Team
The ups I have rather old it was the one I used in old rig it was a pure sine wave one. It's been ok but its also been in service nearly 5 years. Do you have a recommendation on one for this current rig? The PSU is a Evga Supernova 1500watt it's actually still under warrenty. I could see if they will allow a replacement.

Valkyrie

AKG of course has a good point there. I thought I remembered you talking about being on UPS before. It's possible the UPS is the problem so I can't rule it out and neither should you, but the fact your on one is a good thing.

Do you have access to a decent multimeter to check your power supply rails for DC and ripple? You have a good power supply but it's possible it has developed an issue.