What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mysterious CPU usage

Bucklaz

After reading Kilaeu's problems, I just remembered one of my own.

Every so often my computer will just start lagging like a mofo. When I check my Task Manager sure enough, it will say that my cpu is at 100% usage. The funny thing is, there are no games, no hardware intensive programs actually running.

I check through the processes and opened programs and the cpu usage of all my processes and programs do not even come close to 100% when added up, they don't even total 20%. Even after closing every single program - except for the ones that are needed for windows to run - it still shows 100% cpu usage.

The only way for me to remedy the situation it seems, is to restart my computer. Now I've heard of programs and games having memory leaks, but I've never heard of a cpu leak before.

Oh and another problem that requires a restart is sometimes I will not even be able to connect to my router. The internet still works on the other computers, but the router cannot be accessed from my computer unless I restart the computer. Not sure if this has anything to do with my CPU problem though.

Any help is appreciated guys :D thx

jwebby

Can you see which process is causing the 100%? Taskmanager, Processes, sort by CPU.

Bucklaz

k so I've disabled superfetching and indexing, hopefully that should solve things :D

thx again :D

Just strange why neither of those things showed up on the task manager

Gellidius

do you use an old version of zone alarm?

i used to have that same problem a couple of years back with the then current version of Zone Alarm; i had to reboot every now and then.

Shadowmeph

sometimes updates run in the back ground. I used to hate it when online gaming in a competition it would happen almost every dam time. this was before I knew about the admin services settings and turning off allot of things and just updating once a week manually

Latest posts

Twitter