What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mystery ethernet outlet in house

FreeKnight

While planning to run ethernet through the house I remembered that I have one strange outlet in my house in the top floor living room;
20200425_131827.jpg20200425_131830.jpg
The plug-ins are definitely Ethernet size, but there's not a single other Ethernet connector anywhere in the house, so it's not like it was part of a house Ethernet system. What was this for? Was it how residential high-speed DSL was run? Satellite internet maybe? I may go up into the attic to see if I can find where the cables route to, but I've never seen a singular 2 slot Ethernet in a house that didn't have other ports somewhere in the house. Even at the phone and cable lines in the electrical panel I haven't found a stray cable yet.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I think they're phone jacks, there's only 2 wires hooked into each. 2 lines. RJ11 will plug into RJ45 holes.

lcdguy

Folding Team
likely a phone jack, though the cable they used in the wall might actually be ethernet (ie: 1 cable for 2 phone jacks) though probably a much older standard than cat6. Jack also might be an rj45 just not terminated on more than the 2 wires per port

Latest posts

Twitter