What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NAS - Windows 10 BSOD when transferring.

jalmir

Finally setup my first NAS, OMV on an old Dell Optiplex C2D (I had the parts laying around and had been thinking about it for over a year now!)

So I decided to backup a few things to the NAS, that included a project library of different programming languages, not a big folder but it contains tons of small files.

Transferring files to and from the NAS goes fine with larger files, but transferring this folder actually leads to a BSOD because of rdbss.sys.

Of course when I understood what was causing the BSOD I made a zip of that folder and everything was fine, but that doesn't fix the underlying problem: transferring large amount of small files will cause *some* Windows (mine is 10) to BSOD.

Looking online seems to indicate the problem with the samba share is that Windows have a hard time to deal with authentication or security, nothing I tried with the folder's security actually fixed the BSOD.

Microsoft is completely useless on the issue, there is a hot fix for Windows 7, but what about other versions of Windows? Suggestions on the hot fix article varies (in case it doesn't work), my favorite being; "stop using Samba shares" ... Seriously! (Sorry can't find the link to the hot fix)

It's my first time playing around with OMV and Samba shares (I do know my way around Linux, just no clue with Samba) so I'm at a loss right now as to even how to start diagnostics...

Best solution so far (that I don't know how to implement);
BSOD when connected to Linux Samba share - Page 2 - Windows 7 Help Forums

Any help would be great!

JD

Staff member
Are you sure this isn't specific to OMV? Maybe try FreeNAS or some other product instead?

I have no issues transferring large amounts of files to my QNAP NAS (which is Linux based and uses Samba).

jalmir

I have 4 devices on Windows, switching my main PC (and tablet) to Linux wouldn't fix the problem of other Windows devices BSOD'ing when transfering lots of small sized files. As a mechanical engineer my wife also has similar project folders (2GB or less filled with 10000+ files), plus she uses a few Windows only software that aren't working properly with Wine or other virtualization (tried it already). Like I said, when I realized this was confined to folders containing a big amount of files I just started doing zip "storage" files before the backup, it takes a bit more time from the backed up PC because of the zip file creation but the file transfer speed becomes constant.

Still, the fact that "Samba shares + lots of files = BSOD" is annoying me, nothing that my workaround didn't fix, I just feel that it's "not working properly" and it annoys me (must be my "organizational OCD") lol

jalmir

Are you sure this isn't specific to OMV? Maybe try FreeNAS or some other product instead?

I have no issues transferring large amounts of files to my QNAP NAS (which is Linux based and uses Samba).

yeah, could be related to OMV, but a quick search on Google show that this seems to be a recurrent problem with Windows. (on of the search I was using; rdbss.sys BSOD Windows)

Latest posts