What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need a new 2tb HDD

8tE1GH7

Nodscene

I've had way too many failures with the Green line so I'd recommend the Black if you can afford it.

8tE1GH7

I've had way too many failures with the Green line so I'd recommend the Black if you can afford it.
What kind of problems were you having? Like DOA or they'd stop working after a couple of months, give me some info please.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I find the Greens are not nearly as durable for lots of cycles.. we had quite a few dead greens in the span of 2 years with my work. Though still not nearly the deaths the Seagates/Maxtor's in the time I was there.

If you want a Robust 2TB Drive, I would opt for the WD Red series. Enterprise grade stuff, and to be honest so far with the high throughput we subject them to, they have held up.

-ST

Nodscene

With the greens I'm finding they are failing after a year or two with bad sectors. Out of the 5 I've owned, 4 have had gotten bad sectors (at least under warranty) and the wife is 2 for 2 for bad sectors on the greens.

rfielder

I also have had bad luck with WD Green drives.

For my server, went with Seagate NAS 2tb drives. They are slower (5900rpm), but good. Most NAS and server drives track flat out speed for long term durability, which is good for a server but less than ideal for a desktop.

If speed is a consideration, stay with 7200rpm or faster. If you don't need 2Tb, consider the Velociraptors. Sometimes you can find good prices on the 600Gb and 1Tb versions.

If long term durability is a consideration, look at the warranty. I have to think that a drive with a five year warranty is more likely to last five years than a drive with a 1, 2, or 3 year warranty. This brings us to WD Black, and some Seagates. All of the Seagate drives that I have had fail were at or past their warranty, unlike the WD drives.

There were announcements of the upcoming 6Tb drives filled with something other than normal air. I have to wonder how those will work, how they will perform, and how they will last......regardless, I want one! :haha:

Latest posts

Twitter