What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need advise on new build

miggs78

Man it's so good to be back in after ages :)
Hey guys so I need a new system, I used to use my work laptop but since I changed jobs think I'll need just get a new system to use at home.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Light gaming (fifa 21, dirt rally, cod etc) at 1080p, I can live with putting the settings on medium, don't really need super max settings. Also used for daily work use, multitasking (O365, browser windows, excel, visio etc). I also plan to use the desktop for studying so IT networking labs with GNS3 or EVE but I can add more RAM later on

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

CAD $1000-1500 (the cheaper the better)

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada (I live in Calgary)

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

I haven't actually build a PC in a long long time, the last processor I had was a 3570K. I don't have any parts atm though so fresh build. No fanboy really, preference would be likely on stock. With that said the Intel 10th gen processors seem to be good buys, especially since all them support hyperthreading now vs the 9th gens but then not sure how they rack against the ryzen 3600x/3700x processors

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

no

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

not a ton of research honestly, I'm still a confused about the different chipsets Z490, H470 and B460... or save money and get a previous gen z390 as 10th gen don't support pcie4.0 so what's the point? I will be putting a m2 SSD but still at pcie3.0

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I haven't done it in ages, so why not eh, but I'm def not a hardcore overclocker, I did back in the day but it's been ages and I'll likely just shoot for a slightly high number and leave it there

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
That depends on supply and demand honestly, I was initially thinking to get a K processor with an Integrated GPU since GPU prices itself have been insane and stock is also impossible to come.. Though does getting a pre-built makes sense at this time and if so which company

Some specs I have in mind:
Intel 10600k
Asus/MSI/Gigabyte board
16GB RAM (2x8)
512GB/1TB m2 SSD
I have an external HDD so I'll just re-use that for now and get a SSD HD later down the road
750W PSU
ATX case dunno maybe Fractal Design, NZXT or Phanteks
Dunno if I missed anything else...

The pre-built vs custom has me thinking with GPU prices, if I can at least play some games with the IGPU, I'll take that and add a GPU if I ever find one.. The more custom built systems like ibuypower and cyberpower are more expensive but they do come with a pretty good GPU.. I looked at the Dell G5, HP gaming machines and I hate the proprietary parts they use, either it's a custom mobo or psu, it's stupid honestly

moocow

Given the current GPU availability, the 10600K is not a bad way to go. It won't play games at all, unless you do like 720p low setting. Or just get a Dell G5 Gaming desktop can call it a day. It's within your budget and you can configure with with a 5700XT or 2060 Super (for your budget).

miggs78

Given the current GPU availability, the 10600K is not a bad way to go. It won't play games at all, unless you do like 720p low setting. Or just get a Dell G5 Gaming desktop can call it a day. It's within your budget and you can configure with with a 5700XT or 2060 Super (for your budget).

Thanks man, I was going to get this but the use of proprietary parts is not great. A lot of parts can't be upgraded which really sucks, plus the cooling really sucks.

sswilson

Staff member
Unfortunately, with purchasing any GPU that's more powerful than a GT 1030 being damn near impossible (and no indication that it's going to improve any time soon) it's pretty hard not to suggest grabbing the best 1650+ laptop deal you can get your hands on in order to hold you over until mining is no longer profitable on consumer grade graphics cards.

moocow

Oh dang. Didn't realize the PSU is not even standard, I thought it's SFX or TFX of some kind. It's a modified TFX so you are out of luck when it burns out.

How about HP Omen? Videos on YouTube showing it fits a regular PSU and you can probably upgrade the cooler to something else. Only thing I didn't like is that it's the size of a mATX board but only has 1 PCI-E x16 (already used by GPU) and 2 RAM slot.

miggs78

Oh dang. Didn't realize the PSU is not even standard, I thought it's SFX or TFX of some kind. It's a modified TFX so you are out of luck when it burns out.

How about HP Omen? Videos on YouTube showing it fits a regular PSU and you can probably upgrade the cooler to something else. Only thing I didn't like is that it's the size of a mATX board but only has 1 PCI-E x16 (already used by GPU) and 2 RAM slot.
Thanks yes I looked at the regular HP gaming pc and the Omen, limited to one pcie and 2 ram slots so upgrading ram in the future is a pita, I'd have to sell the kit and buy another one. Guess I'll just have to keep looking for a used GPU, once that is found build a pc then.

moocow

Even used market is stupidly expensive. New RX580 is pushing $500 CAD so people pricing their old stuff accordingly. This is why I'm recommending pre-build systems, solely to get your hands on a decent GPU without the markup. 2 ram slots sucks but not the end of the world when you can put in higher density kit in there. RAM matching the original OEM stuff is a pain anyway.

Latest posts