What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

need good mobo

Jim

What would be a good overclocking socket 775 mobo for about 75 - 100 buck? in other words one with as much bois adjustment features as possible (2 ram slots is fine I've got 2 x 1024 ram sticks(pc 6400)

thanks

Last edited:

Jim

Are these better choices cause of their intel chipset ? if after setting an oc with the asus baord and it wouldn't reboot would it remember the last workable bios settings or would you have to clear cmos each time ?

Last edited:

Babrbarossa

Do you mean better than NVidia chipsets?

I'm really not sure whether they reset to defaults after a bad boot. Might have to do a little surfing to find out- anyone else know?

Jmac

I remember reading on a website (I believe it was Anandtech) that they had really good overclocks out of a Biostar mATX board that was under $100 ...

I'll edit my post if I can find it ...

Babrbarossa

well its just that the 2 examples have intel chipset ,wondering if they are better than all other brands of chipset
I don't think one could say that intel chipsets are the best, as there are strengths and weaknesses of course, as well as good uses and bad uses of that chipset, but there aren't that many choices in that price range if you want to any overclock.

You'd have alot more great choices in the 145-200 dollar range, if you're interested in OC- I know that's not necessarily your primary goal though.

sswilson

Staff member
What proc are you planning to put into it?

That's going to make a big difference in how well a budget motherboard will OC for you.

If you're going with one of the 1066 FSB boards you'll need one that will hit fairly high (400+) FSB. If on the other hand you're looking at either the E4300 or E4400 you'll get fairly decent results out of older boards which might only do around 320 FSB.

(I've also heard some rumblings about a budget BioStar board being a decent OCer.... probably worth looking into).

As far as recovering from unstable OC without having to reset c-mos goes.... that's been pretty hit and miss for me over the years. My current Asrock does a great job of it, others have been less than stellar, however it's usually a mem OC which seems to require a c-mos reset.

Jim

What proc are you planning to put into it?

That's going to make a big difference in how well a budget motherboard will OC for you.

If you're going with one of the 1066 FSB boards you'll need one that will hit fairly high (400+) FSB. If on the other hand you're looking at either the E4300 or E4400 you'll get fairly decent results out of older boards which might only do around 320 FSB.

(I've also heard some rumblings about a budget BioStar board being a decent OCer.... probably worth looking into).

As far as recovering from unstable OC without having to reset c-mos goes.... that's been pretty hit and miss for me over the years. My current Asrock does a great job of it, others have been less than stellar, however it's usually a mem OC which seems to require a c-mos reset.
sorry,slow geittin back on the thread , E4300 for max oc , wonder which mobo to use , never thought of Asrock , you been happy with that ? does it have an extensive bois for ocing ?

Last edited: