What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need help ASAP!!

SharpieTM

Nvidia

Does your laptop have a nVidia card in it by chance? Does sound like a driver issue to me. I have had plenty of hard drives fail on me, none made the screen flicker. But I do remember a Windows update causing my nVidia card drivers to go bonkers in Windows 8.1.

You may have to download it on another PC and copy it over via a USB drive while going into safe mode on the laptop. In safe mode, you should be able to install the latest drivers.

sswilson

Staff member
For normal software sure... but for drivers? Almost impossible.
Yeah, my HP laptop is a perfect example of how this can go wrong...

AMD/ATI's stock CCC drivers have never worked with HD 6650 / HD 4250 switchable graphics cards. The detection software sees the card(s) but misidentifies them as 5XXX series and thus fails when attempting to install drivers.

WinX sees that the AMD/ATI drivers think they'll work fine even though they won't, and the inability to turn off device driver delivery through windows updates (even though there's a setting that's supposed to disable it) means that it's problematic even if you manage to find drivers that work.

That said... I'll give some kudos to MS. 4/5 devices upgraded pretty much without a hitch.

Latest posts

Twitter