What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need help choosing a wireless router.

Lima

Hello people,

I need to move my computer from the basement to the top floor where my room is, two floors up. The modem is in the basement and I can move it to my room as well but I have another computer in the basement that needs access to the internet as well.

My main concern is connectivity given the distance between the two devices. I also had to go from a Dlink DI 604 to a Linksys BEFSR51 because I couldn't host a dedicated game server of this one title I was playing at the time behind the Dlink. Other than that I liked the Dlink better as it never needed reseting and it was simpler to set up and receive detailed traffic reports from it but, the Linksys would allow me to play my game. Ideally, I would like something that will not get in the way of gaming or any other use/application while behind it while being reliable!

Anyone got any good recomendations?

JD

Staff member
Any reason why you can't run cables? Gaming over wireless isn't the best idea...

My guess would be one of the new 802.11n routers might help though you'd need to also get new wireless network cards for all your PCs to use 802.11n.

enaberif

wireless going through floors is sketchy.

Best to run a couple of inexpensive wireless routers and have one act as a repeater.

Mars

The DD-WRT firmware is awesome, for inexpensive routers, I exclusively use Linksys WRT54GL routers.

Lima

wireless going through floors is sketchy.

Best to run a couple of inexpensive wireless routers and have one act as a repeater.

So I could buy two wireless routers and save myself the cost of the network card?

blogz101

Lima

I use Linksys Router. Their user friendly. My setup is my modem and wireless router is at the 2nd floor of the house and im able to use internet at my basement with excellent signal.

Hi blogz101,

By second floor, do you mean the one right on top of the basement or one above that one?

Thanks

blogz101

2nd floor Modem/Router
1st Floor Living/Dining
Basement My Laptop

:biggrin: Hope that clarifies it :bananafunky:

Latest posts