What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need help setting up SMP client

Alwaysrun

Hey folders. I want to get the CPU SMP client going on my E8400 for a little bit more ppd. I tried like heck a few months ago with no success because when I installed Vista 32bit I left the Administrator username/password blank. Well the SMP clients ask for those details now and I can't figure out how to set those. Is there an easy way to do that now or will I be forced to reinstall Vista. I've heard that an OC'd E8400 can do roughly 2000ppd and thats great compared to the lowely 350ppd I get with the CPU systray client. Any help would be appreciated :help:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Start/Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety/User Accounts/Add Password.

Alwaysrun

Thanks Charlie. Sorry for the double post here and in the OS section. I was being a bit impatient. Color me happy it was just so damn easy to.

Alwaysrun

D'oh! I ran it for the first time without the flags -smp -deino so it went and grabbed a regular WU. I noticed it in the console so I stopped it and reran it with the flags, it just said "This work type 78 is not eligible for variable processors" ohh well I guess it will chug away on this low pointer then do a bonus one after. Is there a way I can scrap this old turkey project for a smp one? I'm not enthused about waiting 14 hours for 682 pointer. (which as far as the older systray projects are concerned is pretty decent point wise if my memory is correct).

Gad thats some install process, bit of a pain having to enter in Admin password, getting a Folding User Id, Running CMD.exe in Administrator, launching with flags... and I still want to figure out how to automate all this and just have a icon to click. I've seen a few how to's on a Wiki page and the folding forums but I think I need the folding for dummies edition as I still have a lot of other questions. So excuse the plethora of nublette folding queries forthcoming. :bleh:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
1. Delete the Work folder and the queue file. FAH will d/l a new WU.
2. Create a shortcut of the FAH.exe on your desktop, right-click Properties and add the flags to the target.

Alwaysrun

Easy Peezy thanks again charlie! Chugging away on a 1920 pointer now :clap:

I took my Processor down to stock to get a base benchmark for reference. I guess I'll run it like this for a couple days to see roughly the ppd I get then I'll turn the E8400 back up to 3.85ghz and see the ppd change and stability.

Now one final question. I didn't set any advanced options in this when I set it up. Like I didn't touch it's % of cores to use...will this slow down my GPU client? The reason I ask is that when my 260 is folding it uses 8-10% of the processor. Will the GPU take what it needs by default or will I have to turn down my SMP client by 8-10% or a tad more to give me a bit of headroom? The GPU client is a definate priority as it garners 3x the ppd.

tia :thumb:

Latest posts