What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need help to explain this: APU vs old chipset

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I had an FM2 (A6-7600k) build with windows 10 installed, used the built-in APU to watch YouTube videos on my secondary screen beside my main one. Unfortunately the guy that sold me that board didn't tell me how flaky it was, so it completely died on me. I didn't want lose the open tabs because I didn't think I could properly find a copy the browser and it's history to another PC. The only board and CPU I had that would fit into the same case and was available was an super old 760G + an Athlon X2 260u low power chip.

Now for the weird parts:
#1) Somehow, the board and cpu reached windows 10 on the first try, no blue screens or anything. All i had to do was reinstall the graphics card in the device manager, one more restart, and I had everything working 100%. So a version of Win10 installed on a Bolton A55 chipset posted using a 760G chipset!!! Don't know about you guys, but I think that's pretty damn unreal haha

#2) Even weirder. Somehow, the 2D video playback of this board and CPU is smoother. Noticeably smoother. Now, the A556 board was flaky and I had to use a wireless N card to get internet, whereas the 760G's gigabit ethernet works fine. But it can't just be that, can it?? Full speed wireless N not even 25ft from the wireless router on a modern (ish) APU vs a dusty board I haven't used in at least 5-6 years and gigabit. Something about it just doesn't add up in my opinion.
The only options I can think of for this so far are:
- The wireless router in my house must be absoluite garbage and dropping enough packets to make a 720p video with max 320kbps audio lose a noticeable amount of frames.
- The 2D 760G chipset is somehow faster (maybe because it's using a portion of system ram?) than whatever the 2D processing speed of a cpu with the same number of cores BUT nearly 2ghz faster, ten or so years newer, with built in radeon cores of the 7xxx generation (someone check me on that ,cant remember right now).

I'm still just shaking my head and not understanding how it all happened. Head scratching a-plenty.

What do you guys think?

Edit: my first build of any kind in years... fingers crossed that I can keep working on more without too much pain.

Bond007

My first thought is that it has to have been either something to do with the old motherboard having issues (or drivers) related, or internet related. Otherwise it makes no sense to me.

JD

Staff member
Depending on the model of router you have and the speed of Internet service along with whatever wireless card you were using, I'd suspect the fault lies there. 802.11n at best is 144Mbps on 2.4GHz and 300Mbps on 5GHz with no encryption, no interference and line of sight. It's quite feasible you weren't even getting 5Mbps of actual bandwidth from it to run 720p YouTube.

If you think the A6-7600k is still in working order and it was just the motherboard, if you don't mind using AliExpress, they have some $30USD FM2 boards in mITX and mATX size. I recently picked one up for my 2500k and it's been running fine 24/7 for a couple weeks now while I set it up as an "offline" NAS.

Izerous

Wireless speed might have also been higher for somethings but there might have been huge packet losses on constant feed and have troubles building a good buffer

Latest posts

Twitter