What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need Help with high end server build

bjcsoln

So, taking a look at a possible build for a client, but have never looked at something quite so big so am not sure where to start.

But...specifically starting with the mobo - it needs to support at least 2 CPUs and 6 GPUs.

Is that enough info for folks to suggest some manufactures while I also hit the google?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Agree, outside Supermicro I'm not sure you'll find this without a custom build. Perhaps a retrofit/decommissioned server board?

JD

Staff member
Even Supermicro, unless you have some agreement, I don't think it's worthwhile to buy on your own? They usually seem pretty expensive through retail channels.

I would think getting something from Dell, Lenovo, etc would be the better choice as you'd get full warranty coverage too. I'm assuming this machine is running some serious workload that they wouldn't want much downtime. On the flipside, it may be worth looking at AWS or Azure too if uptime is critical.

Entz

Yeah this is for any kind of critical work where uptime matters you don’t want to go DIY. If it’s for mining or something like that then whatever.

For diy you will need to know what kind of GPUs they plan on running, if they have their own coolers that limits how many you can put in a chassis vs passive ones (think slots). Lots have custom cards you can only get direct not online At a retailer.

Also need to figure out form factor, noise and power requirements. The rack mounts are going to be loud. They may need 240v or high amperage outlets etc.

I would say this is one of those contact people who do this for a living at dell/hp/Lenovo.

bjcsoln

Thanks for the advice everyone - I will take a closer look at SuperMicro, but more likely look to see if Dell can provide one to spec. I might also pass on this but I am out of work so kind've need the shot at the profit.

Entz

Something to watch for with Supermicro, outside of the 4029GP-TRT class behemoths, is temperature range. i.e. 2029GP-TR can only support 6 GPUs if they are run in a climate controlled room of 25C as those 6 cards are passively cooled for example. Granted most servers are in their own room due to heat/noise but some do not.

I expect the mainline vendors have the same restrictions.

There is always a ghetto RSV-L4000C build that people use for mining (replace the X1 with custom X8 risers) but that sounds way too DIY and possibly maintenance nightmare if something goes wrong on site.

Latest posts

Twitter