What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need help with network troubleshooting

sswilson

Staff member
Something else to check.... if you connect your laptop with a cable to the rtr (disable your wireless to be absolutely sure), can it access the internet.... finally (laugh if you will.... seen it many times.... ;) ), if your wireless seems to be getting internet access, but nothing connected through your wired ports on your router can, are you absolutely sure your laptop is connecting to your wireless network?

biff

Yep, I disabled the wireless on the laptop to make sure it was connecting through the cable. While on the cable, network and internet are fine. And I'm sure when on wireless that I am on MY wireless network (I had to enter the password). Also there are two other computers connected to the router (wired) that are having no issues at all.

From my computer I can ping the router and other computers on the network OK but I tried to ping the IP address you gave me and it just replied "destination host unreachable". Pinging that IP address was OK from other computers.

sswilson

Staff member
Have you done any kind of none-standard setup in the router? The only other none-PC based issue I can think of then would be if the router itself was blocking that particular MAC address. If you're not doing any kind of port forwarding that be a pain to set back up, you might want to do a factory reset on the router.

DCCV44.2223

My computer bsod'ed on me a couple times at the end of the day too, so that kind of makes me lean even more towards the computer.
Didn't see which version of Windows you're using, but you can try and reset Windows TCP/IP stack:

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

If you can get to the router with a static IP but no Internet, make sure that the IPs you entered for the gateway and DNS servers are correct.

MAK

Biff,

Three weeks ago the same thing happened to me. Two of the three computers stopped getting IP addresses from the router ("No DHCP"). I also have a Linksys, but a very old one. I went in to each computer and added a static IP address, a gateway, and the DNS servers, and they work now. I've been too busy to find out why, although I think it may have been some update that caused it.

I'd recommend you go to one of the computers that is working (your laptop or whatever), open a DOS (command window) and enter "IPCONFIG /ALL" (hopefully that will tell you what you need). Write down the IPv4 address, mask, default gateway and the DNS server numbers. Now go to your computer, set it to static IP, and enter the same data (except enter a different IPv4 address), and see if your computer will access the Internet. That will give you an idea if it is a problem with your computer's network card not able to get an automatic IP address (like what I had), or if it is something else.

biff

If you can get to the router with a static IP but no Internet, make sure that the IPs you entered for the gateway and DNS servers are correct.
I'd recommend you go to one of the computers that is working (your laptop or whatever), open a DOS (command window) and enter "IPCONFIG /ALL" (hopefully that will tell you what you need). Write down the IPv4 address, mask, default gateway and the DNS server numbers. Now go to your computer, set it to static IP, and enter the same data (except enter a different IPv4 address), and see if your computer will access the Internet. That will give you an idea if it is a problem with your computer's network card not able to get an automatic IP address (like what I had), or if it is something else.
Yeah I don't remember doing anything with the gateway or DNS settings... meaning I probably didn't. I know I've heard of (and seen) both but I don't really know what they mean. I'm kind of a networking dummy. Thanks for the tip! I'll look into what those settings are and what I need to do with them.

BTW I'm running XP.

I'm coming to the conclusion the mobo may be NFG. Network issues are one thing but add to that the BSODs and sometimes the computer won't wake-up after being left for a while. I've been able to piece together that over last weekend we had a brown out/glitch and my computer is the only one not on a UPS. For the time (and lost productivity) I've spent on this it might be worth it just to get a new mobo/cpu/ram which I've already been given the go ahead for anyway and call it a day. Probably a cheap AMD or i3 setup. Still I'd like to keep trying to solve the network issues, I'm not one to turn down a chance to learn something.

Latest posts

Twitter