What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need help with Router issues

Wrench117

:biggrin:Hello there,

Router I have- WNDR3800 Netgear Wireless Dual Band Router Gigabyte

I bout the router in 2012 and my problem is I do a lot of gaming (World of Warcraft) I play competitively. We have almost 15 people connected to the internet which is super annoying. For example I have one sister who connects her school iPad, phone, iPod, and tablet of her own. That’s four devices that are connecting of her own personal reasons :doh:. Plus all my other brothers & sisters devices which tops out at 12-15. :angry2:

Also it’s been kicking everyone out and saying limited access and then I have to reset the router so everybody can get on. While I game sometimes I get a lot of lag even when there 10 devices connected.

So instead of buying a 200 dollar router to fix this problem can I buy my own personal router and connect it to our main router therefore, I’m the only one connected, getting the best mbps with no lag. Also is there some software I can download or buy that controls the amount of data each device can get.

Side note- I do have Comcast and just got the newest up to date modem of theirs.

Thanks guys for the help!

Last edited:

enaberif

:biggrin:Hello there,

Router I have- WNDR3800 Netgear Wireless Dual Band Router Gigab[/COLOR]yte

I bout the router in 2012 and my problem is I do a lot of gaming (World of Warcraft) I play competitively. We have almost 15 people connected to the internet which is super annoying. For example I have one sister who connects her school iPad, phone, iPod, and tablet of her own. That’s four devices that are connecting of her own personal reasons :doh:. Plus all my other brothers & sisters devices which tops out at 12-15. :angry2:

Also it’s been kicking everyone out and saying limited access and then I have to reset the router so everybody can get on. While I game sometimes I get a lot of lag even when there 10 devices connected.

So instead of buying a 200 dollar router to fix this problem can I buy my own personal router and connect it to our main router therefore, I’m the only one connected, getting the best mbps with no lag. Also is there some software I can download or buy that controls the amount of data each device can get.

Side note- I do have Comcast and just got the newest up to date modem of theirs.

Thanks guys for the help!

You would want a switch but it would show the exact same behavior. Even with that many devices connected it would only matter on what people are using for bandwidth and what you have as a connection for bandwidth.

Wrench117

Alright well what if I bought a second router and split the number of devices would that fix the issue .

enaberif

Alright well what if I bought a second router and split the number of devices would that fix the issue .

Your just making your situation worse by doing that. What is your current connection? That is really going to play a big difference.

Another issue could be the lackluster firmware from the manufacturer. Look into this and see what happens.. How to Install Open Source Firmware on NETGEAR WNDR3800: MyOpenRouter

A different firmware can make all the difference on some routers.

Helios79

Most consumer grade routers can't handle more than 100 TCP connections before they crap out. As enaberif said, try using an aftermarket firmware like Tomato, DD-WRT, or OpenWRT. These will both add stability and enhanced features. Another option is to find an old PC somewhere and turn that into a router. pfSense, IP-Cop, m0n0wall, Smoothwall, are all router based distros based on either Linux or FreeBSD. If you go that route, the PC will handle all the TCP/UDP connections, and the Netgear can be turned into an access point.

JD

Staff member
If you go with Tomato, it has some very solid QoS features. That should fix the problems you're having.

rfglass

I have been using a linksys GL router for a few years now with DD-WRT firmware flashed to it. I love the fact that I can set my pc to take all the bandwidth It needs and can limit bandwith to all other devices in my home. e.g. sons ps3 , Wife's laptop. I can even control the time that the boys PS3 can even log into the network. I have it so when I am gaming my PC can hog as much Bandwith as I need.With DD-WRT firmware and I'm sure with Tomato also you can set up a separate wifi hotspot and allocate whatever bandwidth you want to that hotspot and have peeps join that 1 to check their stuff with their phones and such.

Last edited:

Latest posts