What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need help with sound card + headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slik

Thanks for the help every1 i think im going to go with the asus xonar d2x, from what i read it is one of the best soundcards on the market. the only question i have know is wich headset to choose, its far more hard to choose a headset than sound cards. Im intereted in the razer tiamat 7.1, the razer megalodon, or the logitech g930.
I registered with Razer to pr-order the Tiamat's. With a pr-order,they give you a free T shirt and FREE delivery. Razer also lists a bunch of sound cards, suggested for this 5.1 analog set. I'm going to go with Claro. Specs look pretty decent. I have lots of 5.1 analog headphones,but the Razer Tiamat,with 7.1,look very very interesting. I just GOTTA have them. I'll let you and everyone here know, when I get them.

I own a Auzentech Forte. Great sound card with built in amp.
I also own Audio Technica's AtH -AD700 (these are the go to headphonse for FPS gaming). These are extremely comfortable, excellent range, excellent sound stage for gaming, just a little lacking in bass. I find if I set my Forte to +12 DB and cut off at 30mhz they are really good.

The Forte lets you hook up both 2/2.1/5.1/7.1 and headphones simultaneously, so you dont need to be switching jack all the time. Just make sure to go into both the Auzentech and Creative labs control panels and disable the auto headphone switching.

EDIT:
The creative cards using a 3D simulation called CMSS-3D. To me, I find you get better 3d position results with the 3D simulation paired with good headphones than you get with a 5.1 set.

check out the demos on this page. It give you a good idea of the "in-game" 3D simulation the card provides.
Sound Blaster - X-Fi CMSS-3D

The only complaint about headphones vs gaming headset is there is no mic, I personally installed one on of my own. It was a bit of a PITA and would suggest just buy a clip on mic like this one.
Mini Clip-on Microphone - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
A CHALLENGER APPEARS(i'm such a meme whoar)
Those creative sound cards seem to have alot of great reviews, wich one do you think is best?
PS:I Will use it mainly for fps games
As for the headset i think im going with the Razer Tiamatit seems to have alot of great features and i really like Razer products like keyboards and mouses. Plus it seems that many people are waiting for it and that must be a good sign...

BootlegUsher

Just make sure the soundcard has outputs for 7.1, there are some soundcards out there that only do stereo.

clshades

I wouldn't touch asus sound cards with a 10 foot pole. I know some guys really like them... they are pretty good for music according to some reviews. Where they seriously lack; and this was always my problem with Creative too, is customer support and driver support. Asus simply ignores their customers concerns and release drivers extremely slowly. Auzentech on the other hand have been fantastic. They always responded to my emails in a timely fashion and you can upgrade the chips on the cards for better sound if you want. In fact I shorted this card by accident (case screw fell off) and it still works perfectly.

The software works great and does what it is supposed to and I've constantly seen updates from them since I bought the card 2 years ago. Let me say... if you get 2 plus years out of a sound card with little to no issues you've done pretty well.

I wouldn't touch asus sound cards with a 10 foot pole. I know some guys really like them... they are pretty good for music according to some reviews. Where they seriously lack; and this was always my problem with Creative too, is customer support and driver support. Asus simply ignores their customers concerns and release drivers extremely slowly. Auzentech on the other hand have been fantastic. They always responded to my emails in a timely fashion and you can upgrade the chips on the cards for better sound if you want. In fact I shorted this card by accident (case screw fell off) and it still works perfectly.

The software works great and does what it is supposed to and I've constantly seen updates from them since I bought the card 2 years ago. Let me say... if you get 2 plus years out of a sound card with little to no issues you've done pretty well.
Thats one of the reasons why i dont buy many Asus products today. On the other hand im not just looking to buy a card that as fantastic customer service. I want something that sounds great, and has a great custumer service. If you could specify the best Auzentech sound card i would really appreciate it...

KaptCrunch

note Auzentech is creativetech sister company so i hope they learned thier mistakes

mo' power

I have not and will never again purchase another creative soundcard. I don't know about others, but the whole Daniel K fiasco left a pretty foul taste in my mouth. My boycot stands. I had many problems with my old audigy2 zs until I used his modded driver. I used it until it gave up the ghost. The only other card I used since is my auzentech xplosion 7.1 so I can't comment on any other cards. I do however hear good things and bad about asus (mostly good).

As for auzentech being a sister company of creative, this is false. Auzentech uses a chipset licenced by creative but that is as far as it goes. Auzentech drivers and hardware are far superior.

Last edited:
I have not and will never again purchase another creative soundcard. I don't know about others, but the whole Daniel K fiasco left a pretty foul taste in my mouth. My boycot stands. I had many problems with my old audigy2 zs until I used his modded driver. I used it until it gave up the ghost. The only other card I used since is my auzentech xplosion 7.1 so I can't comment on any other cards. I do however hear good things and bad about asus (mostly good).

As for auzentech being a sister company of creative, this is false. Auzentech uses a chipset licenced by creative but that is as far as it goes. Auzentech drivers and hardware are far superior.
So what do you recommend?

KaptCrunch

Daniel K fiasco is a by product of Auzentech new wrapper same candy

google "Auzentech drivers crashing my game"

clshades

Kapt.. I gaurantee if you do the same search for any Asus or Creative card you'll find THOUSANDS of forum posts going back 10 years in creative's case. Asus doesn't give two shits about the customer and neither does creative. Having dealt with both companies in the past. Creative email support turned into a swear fest until I got a response other than an automatic reply. And the asus card simply went back to the store. The one constant with every single piece of computer hardware on this planet. The End User. Don't misunderstand me Kapt I like you dude... but you're wrong on this one. Auzentech's ONLY link to creative is the XFI chip and that is where it ends.

To the OP I would probably go with the Forte and two of the main reasons why:
--Headphone & Microphone Amplifiers: X-Fi Forte includes an Integrated Headphone Amplifier and Microphone Pre-Amplifier. You can now listen to your Hi-Fi Headphone and use your professional Mic on your desktop PC, as well as enjoying audiophile-quality audio.
-- PCI-e 1x. Most people have these on their mobo's but never use them. You can stick these in ANY pci-e port on your mobo it doesnt matter. Thus future proofing yourself on the next computer build. PCI slots will be a thing of the past before long.

Surprisingly not all sound cards out there have Amplifiers and let me tell you... some games absolutely need this.

In any case it's up to you... I am giving you the best advice I can based on owning cards from each company.
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts